Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment that I enjoy living in, with one exception. The main sewer line for the 4 apartments on my end of the building runs under my apartment, so basically I am last in the "output". There is a tree and several bushes planted near this line that are apparently growing into this line. Occasionally, once or twice per year, these roots cause the line to back up and of course it backs up in my bathroom. The apartment manager will call the plumbing company to come out and fix the problem, but all of this commotion usually happens when it is time to go to bed for some reason and I am tired of the issues.

Does anyone use a product or know of a product I can use to help kill these roots in the line?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Only two things I can think of that will work for sure. #1 - have the trees/shrubs removed or #2 replace the old pipe with new PVC that is supposed to force the roots to grow around it vs through it.

After having 2 - 3 pooh fountain episodes, we finally replaced the pipe to a PVC one and so far after a year, its working. *touches wood*

I'd see it being more of an inconvenience for you b/c they'd have to tear up your floor and dig down to the pipe to replace it so you'd be out of a home or living in a mess.

Perhaps ask for a discount in rent since this seems to be a regular occurrence? Or ask the landlord to have the pipe cleaned out more regularly to avoid the back ups? ie 4-5 times a year, have the guy come in with the auger with the blades on the end to shred the roots before they can do serious damage?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Can you get on the waiting list and move to another comparable apt in the complex? One further removed from the problem? It might be a pain to move but so is cleaning up excrement several times a year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.