Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Never heard of this, but I have made rose hip jam and its really good. It is also very high in vitamin C.

Will have to look into this further.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Id love to try this!! what is Rosa Damascena ?

edited : looked it up online

n : large hardy very fragrant pink rose; cultivated in Asia Minor as source of attar of roses; parent of many hybrids . 2. Having the color of the damask rose.

so would any rose work for this then?? if so i could go crazy and make quite a bit from all the roses I have blooming!

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can use any as long as they haven't been chemically treated in any way.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Ok, so I went out and checked for roses i could use. I picked great heads off of my pink and red bushes brought em inside and began happily plucking petals off the flowers. I plunked thm into a strainer and had a full strainer. I put the strainer under the water with all the confidence of a seasoned chef (yeah right, i am good if i don't burn mac and cheese). I glance down and black creatures were spilling over the edges of the strainer, fleeing for their lives...and heading straight for the nearest bridge to dry land...MY HAND!! i dropped the strainer and reached for the nearest thing..a sauce pot and began feverishly whacking the bugs with the trusty cooking pot. I believe i got most of em...but now i have no petals left. they were unfortunate bystanders in the all out erratication of the black pincher bugs and were smashed as well. :sigh: I hate bugs.

Maybe I can find some roses at the farmers market.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
OH Melissa! How yucky! You poor thing! I hope you can find some bug free ones and try again! {hugs}

1 - 6 of 6 Posts