Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I should really be posting this here or if it should have just been a general chat thread but figured here might be better due to some of the subject matter. For the most part I just need a vent and then I can hopefully move on.

The last couple of months have been "busy, go-go-go rough" but last week was emotionally rough as well. If someone was grading me on areas of my life I would likely have gotten non-passing or incomplete grades in almost every area. Let's start off with the Friday before last taking my son to get his permit. He's not even allowed to take the written test because he failed the eye test. Now I need to get him into the eye doctor. I want to do that as quickly as possible because I'm pretty sure he'll need glasses which will take awhile to get in and I don't want to have to go through the process of getting the school papers again saying his grades are good enough to take the permit test. Attempting to schedule during the week his high school soccer team has made it to the district tournament is a nightmare since it is an elimination knock out one. Then Monday night after getting home from a LONG work day and attempting to take a few minutes at the village to relax DH gets a call. I can tell it's not good. One of the kid's he coached last year and that was on my son's team hung himself. This was a charismatic kid. The one with energy and spark that drew in everyone. He played with my son in the rec. league. The next day his high school team and my son's are playing each other in the tournament. It was already late when we heard and my son was in bed. I told DH not to tell him in the morning. We let him get through school and I told him when I picked him up as all of the other team knew and we knew they'd tell him on the field. It was a very charged game and I was on edge expecting a blow up of some sort. DH was a mess. I was major backed up at work, we had the rest of the tournament, a candlelight vigil on Tuesday night, the wake on Friday, and a memorial game on Sunday to help collect money for the family. My son did ok with the whole process and as awful as it sounds I just kept thinking thank God that it isn't one of the boys that have practically grown up in our house and then feeling guilty about thinking that. My husband stayed a mess.I stayed queasy with the thought of you never know. In between the wake and the memorial game I worked Sat. trying to get something caught up and then went straight to my other son's game after which we ate canned soup and a sandwhich and DH and I went to a card game at a friends house. Should have been a relax thing right? Wrong. I forced myself to go. They use to do these routinely and we went because we knew each other from the soccer realm, our boys were the same ages, both DHs like to play poker, and the two of us ladies really enjoyed each other's company. Back in Feb. the older son had slid into a ditch with his car. After waiting for hours on a tow truck he called home. His mom went to help him and his friend get it out. It rolled backwards over her and killed her immediately. This was the first card game since her funeral. It was the first time I was there without her. I wanted my bed but I wanted to be supportive of her husband who is trying to pull normal back and see the kids. Then on top of that my husband's parents are calling with AC trouble they have no money to fix and I'm stressed the whole week knowing if it's not fixed by the weekend he will try to drive 800 miles, fix it, and drive back in a weekend. Anyhow, I know this hasn't been very well written and hops around but it was a very long, emotionally draining, week and now I am hoping this one will have no surprise sucker punches.

Thank-you Village for the place to blow off the steam so I can start freash.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Such a tragedy about the young child.
Nothing to say but hugs to give.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You're doing as well as you can considering the devastating news. Be gentle on yourself and stick to the basics: sleep, sunshine, fresh air, good food. Move a little and give yourself time to just be still and quiet.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Sorry all this is dumping on you. I remember similar times in my earlier life. Soooooo not fun.

Keep an eye on your children and keep the lines of communication open. When a child suicides, it often starts a trend amongst the other kids.

It sounds like it would be logical to give your ILs money to fix their AC than to drive all those miles.

Hang in there. It'll get better.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Yes, you've had a bad week. Hugs coming your way. Agree, if you have it to spare maybe send the in laws money to fix it or to help fix it versus the trip. 800 is a long way for a weekend trip. He'll be beat. Whatever you do good luck and take care of yourself.

Reactions: TheRootedNomad

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So sorry...that sucks.

I agree, 800 miles is a long way to fix the AC. Call a company there and get an estimate. For the glasses...do you have a Lenscrafters near you?

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
oh hugs u have had a rough week...no wonder u are emotionally spent...send the parents the money to get it fixed go for a visit later....take it easy on yourself and each other hugs and prayers being sent

·
27,948 Posts
So much heartache, I'm sorry you and yours are hurting. Please be good to yourself and know that sometimes all you can do is hang on to those you love and take it as it comes. Big hug.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Agree with lovemybliss I hope you find a few minutes to relax. I know you probably feel like your chasin your tail but this manic time will pass(hopefully soon).:cheerup:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhhh the money to the in-laws. I suggested and was told no way. "The AC people in Florida charge through the roof." Personally I didn't care what they charged. It was an odd disagreement as I didn't care what it cost and he did which was just out right weird. Thankfully the in-laws AC got running with a side guy and DH instructing via the phone and we never had to resolve him going vs. us sending money.

Thank-you all for the hugs and thoughts. I generally do pretty good in "high stress" times until it's starting to wind down and then I spew. Kind of like popping a blood blister I guess, release the pressure and then I can recharge. When I posted on Monday it was definately wind down day. Yesterday, schedules slowed, there were no sucker punches, and life started to feel like a regular day. We are ALL watching our kids pretty closely but are very proud of how they handled everything. They organized the vigil and the memorial game to raise money for the family and all pulled together to make those things work. Allowing them to be in charge seems to be helping tremendously. Now we'll all just try and be supportive and watchful, and help them heal.

·
8,714 Posts
~Aww, that's a lot at once. ((hugs))
Give yourself a break. You can never get a failing grade for processing grief or for dealing with stressful situations out of your control!~

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hugs from me too.....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
So sorry for the loss and the stress. Big hugs and prayers to you and yours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts