Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am currently in the Homesteading Challenge and didn't want to hijack the challenge thread with my questions so here goes:

Starting a few plants in rubbermaid totes:

I have several 18 gallon rubbermaid totes with no lids. My thought was that I could put rocks in the bottom of them for drainage, start with a small amount of soil such as, 6 inches? 12 inches? and plant seeds. Put the totes in my small-critter room which has good lighting and extra warmth already.

Would this work? Say, a tote for each different type of plant I want to grow? More soil needed?

I also have some of those Clamp-on light bulb holders that are commonly used for heating small animals. Would you recommend grow-lights and attaching those to the sides of each tote at least until the seedlings are big?

I am envisioning a container garden in that room, it already has to have a higher humidity, as well, for the small animals and the extra plants/watering would help with that too.

Feedback is welcome, please, this will be my first attempt at growing food in containers.

Oh! Here are the plants I was considering trying, per tote:

potatoes
tomatoes, maybe 2 plants in one tote
Really entertaining the idea of a small trellis-sticks setup with sugar-snap peas. I think it would be pretty and yummy too.

Whatcha' think?

Here is a link to the type of totes I am referring to:
Roughneck Storage Box / Bin | Rubbermaid

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
It could work, but I would want to think about the standing water in the pots and the mold that could arise from it. If you could find the lids or an alternative, I would concider putting holes into the bottom so that old water could seep out setting the lids underneath to act as a plant pot saucer to protect the floor or surface underneath. So that the plant roots in there wouldn't suffocate in bad water..if that makes any sense at all.

If the totes are the clear ones you may want to shield the soil to discourage algae or mold growth.

Otherwise i see it working wonderfully, be careful not to over fill your totes so the strain of the contents don't burst it.

Reactions: krbshappy71

·
Registered
816 Posts
we did this last year, outside, with holes drilled in the bottom. We did not get a great yeild. I had a friend come over and take a look at my set-up (she is a great gardener) and she said even with the holes drilled in them, they probably weren't getting enough drainage.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yes will definitely work there are some modifed earth boxes that people make with these. I had a fantastic yield making earth boxes. You must have drainage holes.

Here is the link to what I am talking about:

http:
//www.josho.com/gardening.htm

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm thank you everyone. The brain is ticking.

I have a spare hard plastic kiddie pool, I wonder if I did drainage holes in the bottom of the totes, then set them up on blocks of some sort....in the kiddie pool....

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have a friend that grew strawberries in a kiddie pool...lol Yummy.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
For tomatoes and potatoes you're going to want about 2 feet of soil to put them in, potatoes especially as the fruit grows underground. You'll get one potato plant per tub, maybe two tomato plants.

I agree that you need holes in the bottom of the tubs. A few rocks does not provide drainage, the water can't go anywhere! Use screen or mesh to keep the soil from going out the holes.

You will need enough grow lights to cover the top of each tub if you plan to start these indoors. That will be at least 2 15" bulbs per tub. Around here they cost about $12 each.

Suggested web sites to look at:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ht1ti0SYQ&sig2=HBl1fA5vXRAAAV4BLNr2Mw&cad=rja

Container Gardening | Kansas City Community Gardens

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nSx84KVHw&sig2=1E5ZGwbzwJ7_PLjHuKEZeA&cad=rja

Reactions: krbshappy71

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a friend that grew strawberries in a kiddie pool...lol Yummy.
No way! cool idea.

Thank you for the tips and links, Contrary Housewife!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.