Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we used to live in California I used resuable (canvas) bags all the time while shpping, actually on every shopping trip. Yeah, there was the odd comment here or there ("saving a plastic tree??") but it was no big deal.

Now after living in VA for a couple of years I still can't seem to get myself using them. I don't know why, maybe expecting a worse reaction? And that reaction shouldn't even matter.. But sometimes I feel this palce is really backwards (sorry).

Anyway, to the point/ Does anyone here use canvas bags etc. at places like Target? It just seems like your stuff is bagged so quick that you wouldn't even stand a chance to hand that canvas bag to the person at the checkout. Any experience on this? :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have started using resusable bags. So far I have only used them at the grocery store. I try and stay out of Walmart so I haven't had a chance to use them there. In the grocery store it helps if I put the bags right on the conveyer belt with my groceries so they know I have them, otherwise they stick things right in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use mine everywhere. Mostly because i tend to collect the plastic bags until they take over my home. Last time i took them down to that little recycle thing at the grocery store (i always wondered what they actually do with them from there...) i had over 500!. My husband used to use them for his lunches but i finally broke down and paid the 8 bucks so that he could choose the lunchpack he wanted and thats what he uses now. I do get a few comments here and there but i mostly ignore it or just say i happen to like them better...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I try...you're right, sometimes it's difficult to catch the baggers before they've already plasticed up your stuff. Walmart is the worst for this - and we try not to go to Walmart too often for a myriad of other reasons - but Grayce is right..it helps to put them right up on the belt with your stuff. Bigger chains aren't really used to the idea. Smaller stores, it's not really a big deal around here.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
i do most of my grocery shopping at Trader Joes and they love my bags and often ask where i got them. I used on for the first time at safeway and was relieved when the the cashier told me she carried bags too and didnt mind at all so she passed me the groceries and I bagged my own stuff. I have never tried at Target im gearing up for that, but i have had success in just saying I don't need a bag at all and carrying things out of several craft stores.

I also try to avoid walmart as much as possible

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have never even seen another person in my area use a canvas bag. I dont do it often but when I do people stair at me. Its so sad that peopple think you are a freak for trying to reduce wiast. Somethimes I wish I lived in a more progressive area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use re-usable/canvas bags all the time; have done for quite some time. I hate using plastic bags, although sometimes I forget to take a bag when I just go to town, and when I end up buying stuff, I get a small platic one. I get really cross with myself though. However, I do take the few plastic bags i do get, to our local Tesco, where there is a recycling bin for them outside (I hope they do the right things with them - have to find out).

I think, if more people stopped using plastic bags, especially for their grocery shopping, we would really cut down on our landfills.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm working on it -- at this point I usually end up stopping after work and my canvas bags are sitting at home. I just need better planning!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I keep mine right in the trunk with my cooler bag (that keeps things hot or cold for up to three hours).

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don't have any canvas bags that I use for shopping, though there are times I wish I did when something rips through the plastic bags. I have noticed that one of the grocery stores here sells the canvas bags. Maybe I should check into getting a couple for the heavier stuff. I have used my own bags at Target before, though then I was Christmas shopping and I carried in a bunch of big black trash bags. I had one comment and that was the lady behind me said she should have thought of that. Sure makes it easier to bring in those christmas gifts without the kids seeing what is in the bags.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We don't use canvas bags but we definitely reuse the bags from Aldi's and Save-A-Lot. We also bring our own plastic bags to the day-old bread store - in fact they like us to bring in enough for our order plus extras for others to use.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I used to use canvas bags all the time but when we moved to the new house I have yet to find them. I like some others have only used mine in the grocery store. But I have seen people use them other places too.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have both canvas bags and thermal bags. If I am out shoping (not for food) then I place the bags on top of the items I first put up. If there is no waiting (like that really ever happens to me) I hand them to the cashier before I start unloading the cart. At grocery stores I ask to bag the things myself so I can pack things in a way that makes it easier for me to unpack them and the cold/frozen stuff gets put in the thermal bags. Got most of my things from the thrift stores (who knew the pizza places donated their old bags? lol) or my family.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I try to use my canvas bags as much as possible, problem is: I don't have enough bags of my own to use in a big trip -

for small trips, I use canvas or no bag at all.

:D

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I use reusable plastic bins for groceries. They are sold by one of the grocery chains here, but I bring them into their competitors' stores as well and no one bats an eye. They are so much easier than bags, nothing gets squished, you don't have to make so many trips carrying them in, they last forever (one of mine is about 15 years old), and they are multipurpose (mine get used as laundry baskets, storage containers, and paper recycling bins).

If I'm only buying a couple things, I just refuse the bag and carry it out. I often go to the self checkout to avoid the ' ''no bag please", blank stare, robotic automatic bagging reflex, removal of item from bag, repeat blank stare', routine.

When I cleaned the closets out I found piles and piles of plastic bags, so I am very adamant now about not getting any more, and slowly using up the existing supply as garbage bags.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I am about to go in half with my friend for a BJ's membership. Unless things have changed, they dont have bags. I have one of the blue IKEA bags I lug around. I am going to use it as a pattern to make heavier canvas bags.

My 'running around town' bag is a backapck. Do I get funny looks? Yup... do I care that some twit is staring? Nope. Why? Because I like my backpack and I can leave it at home if I wanted to... they will always BE a twit...

So... If you want to carry a canvas bag for shopping... GO FOR IT.... you live this life for you, do what makes YOU happy and if "they" don't like it... do what I do, when another shopper snickers about my bag... I turn to them, point to their overflowing plastic bag that the bagger just put the 4th jar of pickles in and say "Gee, I really hope that doesn't break, it would be a shame if you had to live with the smell of sour pickles" (and oh yes... I smile while I say it :lol:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a really big canvas bag I got from Half Price Books (it was free with $30 worth of purchases) it is HUGE and meant to carry a lot of books so it is very strong. I will take it with me if I know I am only buying a few things. My bi-weekly grocery shopping usually fills up 10+ grocery bags, so I just use plastic ones then. I reuse the plastic bags for trash can liners in the bathrooms.

Anyway, I just fold up the canvas bag and keep it in my purse. Then I load my stuff into it after I check out. I have never got any comments on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I buy canvas bags at thrift stores (so they are from various places or concern various issues) and wash them at home, then stash them in the car, in the house, wherever. I've pretty much stopped recreational shopping and buying "stuff" I really don't need. When it comes to groceries or other necessities, I use the canvas bags. When it comes to anything else, I try to make it so I purchase so little that I can actually walk out of the store without a bag... and just manage with carrying out my purchase(s) without a bag. I ship a lot of things at the post office, and I always use a particular bag that I got at the thrift store with this goofy looking creature on it... get lots of looks, but that's alright... the bag was really cheap, and I feel better not using plastic bags to carry my stuff in like some people I always see do... their bags usually break due to the boxes or envelopes they have in their bags and they usually just throw them away in the garbage at the PO. :(

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't use canvas bags- but a "Use for Life plastic bag" that I got from a grocery store here. I love it-it has a reinforced botom and can hold a lot of weight-less bags to carry in! Baggers love it because it's easier to pack.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I too have the bins for groceries. But often forget them...lol. Or they are being used for other things. But am working on some fun canvas ones. I'm embroidering them. So there'll be some smart remark for the non green people.

Need some sayings though. My brain just isn't functioning at full capacity these days...lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts