Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my kid tells me last night that she wants cupcakes for her class tomorrow.It's for her birthday, which isn't until the 18 but they are going on spring break this friday.
I am very low on nearly everything and DO NOT want to spend another dime. I do have 25 dollars left from the grocery budget but was thrilled at the possibility of saving it. And I'm conserving gas so I don't want to run to the store.
Thanks to my ninja skills I was able to whip up some awesome chocolate cupcakes without buying anything. The frosting is not so easy.
I have nothing to make frosting with.
We do not use or have butter or milk, I have no Crisco , no whip cream or pudding mix.

The only thing I have is coconut and vegetable oil as far as oils go.
I do have plenty of confectioners sugar!If all else fails I'll have dh pick some frosting up on his way home, that way it's his gas and his cash too:toothy:

So anybody got any frugal hilly billy tricks.. maybe a depression recipe or something? I have been looking but so far nothing.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I found a couple on Yahoo Answers but this is the only one with no butter, milk or milk substitute. I've not tried it, so cannot vouch for how it may turn out. But, just in case you want to give it a go here ya go:

(Copied word for word)

*This is a good recipe for small cakes or cupcakes. Add 1/2 cup sugar to 1/2 cup water. Heat until sugar dissolves. Stir into 2 cups of powdered sugar. For thinner icing use less powdered sugar, for thicker, use more powdered sugar

*Once I mixed softened cream cheese with whipped cream and it was a pretty good frosting. Not the best, but good.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Do you have any peanut butter? You could mix that with your confectionary sugar. Or just sprinkle Confectionary sugar over the top. Any chocolate chips in your house?

·
27,948 Posts
Reactions: frugrrl

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about the peanut butter and while we would love it I know that one child is allergic so I best not go that route.

And I pretty sure she will be looking for a more traditional fluffy frosting.

·
Registered
942 Posts
My girls just made this chocolate frosting today. It turned out really well and made a lot. I know that they replaced the butter with margarine (because they sometimes have trouble remembering they are two different things), but it didn't matter. Looking through the comments I saw where others were able to replace the evap. milk with 2%.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Confectioners sugar Is a good base for any frosting.
Mix 6 TBSp of butter w/4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar also confectionsers sugar 1/4 cup milk and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla mix till light and fluffy and of spreading consistency.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so thanks for all the ideas but yeah, NO BUTTER , NO MILK.
I cracked and had dh pick up some things on his way home. After all it was his dime not mine. :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would make a simple mixture of small amount of water and confectioners sugar. Mix together well to make a glaze. Then dust with coconut while the glaze icing is still wet. May not be fluffy but definately different.

Do you have any egg whites? I have heard of people making merangues or macaroons with egg whites and coconut. That way you can place them on top of cup cakes.

Just melting some chocolate chips and drizzling it over the cup cakes and then sprinkle with coconut.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.