Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a SAHM for 6 years now and to be honest, I'm kinda getting sick of it. I know that sounds horrible, but I think I'm ready to go back to work. I'm currently working part-time nights (retail), but am considering going back to work during the day within the next year. My only problem--what to do? I never had a "career" before having the kids--I did a lot of different things. I had fun and learned a lot, but now I'm trying to figure what the heck I'm doing when I go back!! Just wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have been a SAHM for about 5 ish years now. Hubby decided we don't make enough money for a decent retirement/home (we currently live in an apt and the houses he wants are out of our price range), and 3 boys that will someday want to (hopefully) go to college. Honestly he's probably right and I'm not the greatest SAHM. My previous work experience is limited to one crumby, low paying, low skill job, so I have been going to school to at least have something to put on a resume and hopefully learn something useful. There are days when I want out of the house away from the kids (I have one at home during the day). I'm supposed to start looking for a job at the end of this semester. I have no clue what I want to do now. I always thought I wanted to be a SAHM but like I said I'm not that great at it. I have been taking the core classes at school, but can't for the life of me decide what direction to go after I finish the basic required classes. Plus, I'm just plain scared to go back to work.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I know how you feel. I went to college got a 2 year degree and was a medical secretary for many years before I became a SAHM. Now my son is 9, I work part-time at a school and part-time from home. I feel out of the loop, skills wise.

I wish you luck.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this isn't a very fun group, is it?!?!? LOL. So what do we do now?!?? I have a Bachelor's in Business Studies with no intention of working in the business field. I've taken some Early Childhood classes, but I think that would be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire!! I have some time to figure things out, I guess. :dishes:

I was talking to a friend about all of this tonight and she brought up a good point--when my boys are in school full time (one is in kindergarten and the other pre-K), I might want to volunteer in the class and go on field trips, etc.

I think it's kinda hard to know what to do when you didn't have a "career" in the first place. :grnwave: I totally agree with what one of you said about not being a very good sahm--I feel the same way.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Just a suggestion, but have you ever thought about substitute teaching? You could work when you wanted and be home when you needed to be. If you can't come in the day that morning, just tell them you can't that day, but call again. Most school districts are always looking for subs. You could speak with your school district to find out what you need to do to get started.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting something more. Best of luck to all of you in finding your niche outside the home.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Yep I've been loking for a while now. I had a career before, but I'm having a really hard time even getting an interview. It's hard to explain an 8 yr absence from the workforce---companies (in my experience so far) would rather hire someone w/o children. So it's a catch-22 situation. Can't explain not working w/o talking about my family. :sigh:

G

·
Not sure if I'm technically in or not, but I was a SAHM for six months after my son was born due to a layoff, and I also just don't think I want to a SAHM. I'm starting work again on March 19th. My case is a little different in that I did have a career and picked it back up again, but I totally sympathize with you about not wanting to stay home all day. I don't think that I'm incompetent at it, I just know that it's not for me.

You might want to see if they have any job fairs in your area - they're usually free and you can get a sense of what else is out there that doesn't have tons of requirements. You also might want to check and see if there are any employment services that aren't temp agencies - here in MA, if you collect unemployment you have to attend a seminar at an employment agency about finding your skills and how to conduct a job search, and when I went the center said that they were open to everyone and free to use. Maybe you can look at the unemployment website for your state and they might have more information, even if you're not collecting benefits.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great ideas, ladies. Thanks! Sometimes it's just so nice to have others who "get it" about the sahm gig. Michelle--what was your job before? Mom23 boys--great idea about the sub teaching. I hadn't thought of that.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Great ideas, ladies. Thanks! Sometimes it's just so nice to have others who "get it" about the sahm gig. Michelle--what was your job before?
My title was Journals Fulfillment Manager...which meant I was responsitlbe for the fulfillment, circulation, distribution, and customer service for 45 journals for an international publisher.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm reviving this kith a bit. Nobody has written since March. I'm enjoying my part-time retail gig, but can't imagine working there full time. I love the people I work with, but will never be more than p/t. I talked to someone today about being a substitute spec. ed aide in the class room and the pay wasn't that great, at all. However, getting out of school at the same time as the kids is cool. I'm not sure I want to be home with them all summer, though!!! LOL.

What are you all up to? Michelle--are you working outside the home, yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts