Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canned Fruits
Whenever you open a can of fruit, instead of pouring the liquid/juice down the drain, save it in a salad dressing type container. Then add some balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and spices to your liking to make a delicious salad dressing.

I also use it for braising meat, such as pork or chicken, and it makes the meat so much more flavorful. The store bought fruit flavored salad dressing can run about $4. You can make your own for a fraction of that. Enjoy your own gourmet salad dressing!
Krys in WA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this came in my dollar stretcher email.......thought it was a good tip that someone may be interested in.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thanks Rosey will have to try that.

Reactions: rosey7415

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Our basic salad dressing is evoo, dried oregano, garlic powder, red wine vinegar (homemade and easy, peasy), s & p. Sometimes, I pour the juice from green olive jars into it and it's wonderful.
Very close to mine, thanks for the tip will have to try the green olive juice. I am curing black olives as we speak, it is my first time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the juice from green olives.....never even thought about that...thanks! another great idea and another way to use something that i usually throw out. great idea:)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
the juice from green olives.....never even thought about that...thanks! another great idea and another way to use something that i usually throw out. great idea:)
You're welcome, and a little juice from a jar of pepperoncinis will spice it up.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sounds good rosey.....thanks.

I usually save it, measure it, freeze it, label it and then put it in jello when I make it. Other than pineapple juice that is........

Use pineapple juice when I cook meat.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Mmm, I drink the juice too. If it's pineapple juice, I just use it for homemade stir fry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts