Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always tipped at salons until I had the owner do my hair. Then I never tipped because I was told not to tip owners. I was always very generous to his assistants though.
I noticed at many salons the entire salon has a no tipping policy. I felt so stupid when I offered a tip and the girl said sorry we don't accept tips.

Do you tip at salons? tip owners? have a salon that has no tip policy?

I rarely go anymore. I started coloring my own hair and have long hair without bangs so only need to go for trims now.

·
27,948 Posts
My hairdresser has her own place and is the only hair dresser. I do tip her. I usually just put my money on the counter as she is sweeping up. She's never asked me to stop tipping her.;)
Tricky awkward stuff this tipping business. You don't want to feel like a schmoe , you just want to do the right thing. :loop:

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I haven't been in a salon in so long i really can't answer. When I saw the topic for some reason cow tipping came to mind...lol.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I always tip. Only once did I have the owner of a salon cut my hair and I tried to tip but they said he didn't accept tips. I had no idea about that. I worry that I don't tip enough sometimes.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I always tip. The girl I go to (for the last 15 years) is pretty much the only one in town. She owns her own salon. There is another salon, but she isn't open very much.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
I always tip the girl that cuts my hair. It's not a salon where a different person washes, then another cuts, etc.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I always tip. The salon I go to is a small salon in a small town and the owner is the hairdresser but I am happy to get a great haircut at a great price so I always tip a couple of dollars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all. I'm new here. I have questions about tipping. Do you still tip if you aren't happy with the cut? I've had a hairdresser not listen to me at all or only hear parts of what I want. I left unsatisfied and won't go back to her. Would you tip in that circumstance?
What percentage for a tip is acceptable? I'm worried I will not tip enough and end up insulting that person. I don't want to tip too much either, I feel I am already paying a lot for a simple cut!

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I would still tip but just not as much as if I was pleased with the service. I normally tip between 15 - 20 percent.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I always have given a tip to the person who cuts my hair and the boys hair. I just always thought I was suppose to so I do.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
I go to a walk-in place-- I don't know if that's the same as an actual salon or not as far as "rules" of tipping. (I've only been to a regular salon for my wedding and prom hairdo's, lol!) My haircut costs about $15, and I tip $2-3 if I like the cut. But, if the girl is rude (such as the one who talked to her visiting friends sitting in the seats around me the whole time she was cutting my hair and never spoke to me) I don't tip. I figure a tip is a reward for a job well done, and I'm not going to feel obligated to leave a tip if it's not justified.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you, AmyMCGS. I was beginnning to wonder what I was tipping for? Right now I am having a hard time finding a hairdresser that will cut my hair the way I want! Two cuts ago she left a big chunk that was way too short, it kept getting in my eyes. I did tell her I wanted it to go behind my ears. She was constantly distracted by the phone ringing or people coming in. :mad: The last time I got a cut (different hairdresser, different salon) she cut the whole thing way too short and no layering whatsoever. She heard "cut the splitends" and that is all she heard. By the time I seen how much she was taking off, there was no room for layering. Another time the hairdresser didn't get all the splitends off when that is what I was getting done. I know I'm partly to blame for not making myself clear enough. It will be awhile before I need another cut as it is too short right now. :bang: Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I do tip.... But I rarely go and I really don't know who owns the place...... I have gotten those cuts where the stylist didn't listen and cut it wrong...... Once I asked for a little shaping and the lenghth to be left below my shoulder...... She cut it so short in the back that I had no other choice than to go with an ultra short pageboy cut ........ I was Pi$$ed !!!!!! I not only didn't tip, I refused to pay for the cut .......:mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts