Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This makes about 8 servings and is always a hit. I usually serve this with extra salsa and sour cream on the side :)

Ingredients
• 1+ pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed (I have also added ground turkey etc.)
• Tex-Mex spice to taste (chicken/meat rub) (can us taco mix etc. Homemade or store bought)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
• Chili pepper flakes - a couple of shakes
• 1 onion, coarsely chopped
• 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth (I used one bag of homemade frozen broth, which is usually bagged in 2-3 cup servings)
• 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (use half mild and half hot is desired - the chunkier the better)
• 2 cups rice - have used basmati
• 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese (I use OLD, but any cheddar will do)

Directions
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the cubed chicken in oil, salt and pepper until cooked through and juices run clear.
Add the broth and salsa and bring to a boil. Add rice, additional water and beans. Cover and let simmer on low, until rice is cooked,
about 1 hour - add more water as necessary.
2. Transfer to a large casserole dish and cover with shredded cheese. Bake at 350º until cheese is nice and melty.

·
Registered
636 Posts
This sounds really good. I love rice, I love salsa, and I love spicy. Chicken becomes so boring so this might be a match made in heaven for me. Looks like it might freeze pretty well, too. Might have to try this in the next day or so. Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I really like the sounds of this recipe.
We like rice and chicken!
I will be trying this for sure!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts