Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, since the Salvation army is a charity, that if you make purchases there if that's considered a donation to that charity? If so, with a reciept would you be able to claim that on your tax returns? Has anyone done this before? Thanks in advance for your help!

· Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm not positive, but I would think not ... if you were to give a straight donation and receive a tax receipt without purchasing any goods .. possibly, but I dont believe it's considered a donation when you are purchasing goods in exchange ...

Reactions: hotprincesscm

· Registered
1,454 Posts
the money from the thrift stores goes directly to support the operations of the corps (social service programs, admin costs, various other programs) but since you received something in exchange for your money it is not considered a donation. When you do make a donation, they give out receipts (subsidiary receipts) that say "no goods were received in exchange for this gift".

· Registered
1,717 Posts
You get "donation reciepts" for things you donate, but the reciepts you get for buying things are different.

I keep all my "donation reciepts" in my "taxes" file until the end of the year and then..bwahhaaha..

This year I got back an extra $400.

· Registered
535 Posts
Nope. You giving money in exchange for goods or services. Don't count. Sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.