Frugal Village Forums banner

satellite is off and I am having 2nd thoughts

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Hamada 
#1 ·
Ok....the satellite has been turned off and now I want to go and pay to have it turned back on. I really need to save money. I truly do. I have got to. I must. I can't take it. Help me!! Withdrawal symptoms!!

#2 ·
I will be going through the same withdrawals in March... That is when our contract is up. Good luck and let me know what you do that helps. :)

#3 ·
Go to www.hulu.com and watch hundreds of tv shows or movies. Also

www.abc.com and look for lots of complete tv shows. also nbc, cbs, bravo, tlc etc.

We survived a year. Start borrowing dvds off friends / library It gets less hard. Never great but less hard

But Hulu is great and abc has alot

#4 ·
When I went to training, I was stuck on a base with no t.v. It is amazing how quickly, if you take yourself off cold turkey, you will find other things to do to fill the time. I had a couple of weeks of "Oh, I'm missing this show," then I forgot all about them and got on with my life. :) By the time I returned home, approx 3 months later, I could have easily not had a t.v. in my house at all.

#5 ·
My only vice with television is Law N Order SVU.

I would love to have my $100 a month satelite disconnected.

My problem is my 17 yr old son who LOVES OSU football and my renter who LOVES not only football, but the horse racing channel. My son can't get OSU football in Florida without a ESPN channel that only comes with the 250 channel package.

I ask him to be frugal is so many places, I hate to cut him out on his football also. Call it guilty mom syndrome :abduct:

#6 ·
My problem is my 17 yr old son who LOVES OSU football and my renter who LOVES not only football, but the horse racing channel. My son can't get OSU football in Florida without a ESPN channel that only comes with the 250 channel package.

I ask him to be frugal is so many places, I hate to cut him out on his football also. Call it guilty mom syndrome :abduct:
Why can't 17 yr old son get him self some odd jobs to pay for the football then?

TV is a LUXURY. It won't hurt him ONE BIT if you make him pay for his own luxuries. He'll just make it *sound* like it hurts.

I'll tell you, it would have done me a world of good if my parents had taught me that it takes work to have the things we want in life. Instead they, like you, were extremely frugal, except, like you, with their son. It was not beneficial to me. Please, don't be like my mom was. Don't teach him that just because he wants it a lot he just gets it. Teach him to work for it - don't let him grow to be 35 like I was before that lesson sinks in.

Reactions: LeeCee
#9 ·
Been there and I feel for you!! Red-box also helps a lot! Do you have kids or friends you can invite over? maybe after dinner some nights? That helped me greatly. I would spend the evening before cleaning and maybe get some cookie dough mixed up. The evening of we would play cards or board games. Sometimes we would have a pot luck dinner.

It was great fun and I didn't miss the TV as much.

Now I have cable and it's $60 a month, but I may be cutting that off soon as most of the time I am watch Hulu anyway.

Good Luck!

#10 ·
We didn't have a television for two years one time. During that time I read, did puzzles (both book type & jigsaw) and played board games. Our kids thought for sure they were going to die, but they all lived.

You can watch a lot of shows on the computer if you really need too and if you wait long enough the dish companies will start sending you invites and you will end up paying a way lower rate for your TV services.

#12 ·
We have netflix and can watch movies instantly on the computer ( or xbox 360 and ps3 if u have one) plus we get a ton of DVDs of movies and cable shows from them. Hulu is awesome! U can watch mist popular shows for free like 24-72 hours after they air. All on your pc.
We haven't had cable since I can't even remember like 10 years.
Granted sports would be tougher but u could always go to a restaurant/ sports bar and watch or find a buddy to mooch off for the games

#13 ·
We are considering dumping cable. My friend bought a 80 dollar Roku player. Its like a mini computer that wirelessly links to your internet/home network and streams Hulu and other internet channels to your TV.

Its all free (well besides paying for your internet connection). Even ESPN has ESPN360.com to watch sporting events on. And there are websites like justin.tv too.

However, I heard they are looking into charging for Hulu soon...which would really make a lot of people angry.

Also...consider this...more and more people are getting HD antennas in their homes...and in some cities you can get up to 50 channels in HD (we have 25).

I think in the next few years streaming over broadband is going to be more and more popular vs. traditional cable. No additional receivers to pay for, etc.

Ever since I got netflix streaming over my TV I hardly even watch cable TV anymore.

#14 ·
We haven't had TV (not even cable or rabbit-ears) for five years. Don't miss it a bit. There are so many interesting things we can do besides sitting watching a box.

When I read about the daft things people do to get on all these "reality TV" shows (not there's an oxymoron for you), it makes me glad I can't watch them.

#15 ·
I disconnected satellite tv and now have basic cable. Do not miss all the channels since I can watch most of the shows I enjoy on the computer. Really enjoy HULU.

Check with friends and neighbors to exchange dvds of movies. Libraries are also a good source.

Personally, I have started just doing one thing at a time when I am home. If I am looking at a magazine the radio is off, it is amazing how more relaxing it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.