Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Save A Lot in a town about 35 -40 minutes from our house. We will down in the area next week to get permits for the new property, so we're going to stop by and check it out.

What kinds of things do you conistently find good prices on at a SAL? Is there anything I should steer clear of? Do they take coupons?

Haven't been to a SAL since college, so I'm going into it blind...any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
if i am going to make box mac/cheese, then i buy it there. it's a good price and the kids like it better than kraft.
bread. i freeze it.
chips if i buy them
spaghetti sauce is really good.
this is where i buy all of my pasta.
corn, green beans, beans for chili, tuna, onions, also, i get sausage patties there. i make sure that i get the swaggerty bulk package, there is 30 patties and i just freeze it and take out what i use to cook.
this is also where i get my shredded cheese, *when not on sale at kroger*
ice cream.
crackers
canned fruit
i can go in there with 100 bucks and come out with an almost full cart!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I used to buy cases of soup and also canned vegetables.

Other stuff to but the ones above were much cheaper than the regular stores.

Of course that was 2-3 years ago so not sure now but still I imagine they're cheaper yet than stores like Bi-lo or even Walmart.

Jen

·
Registered
933 Posts
I do a lot of our shopping at Save A Lot. We actually prefer their mayonnaise and ketchup over other brands. I always buy my can foods there. Also instant potatoes, barbecue sauce, spice packets for chili, meatloaf, brown gravy etc., their cereals, eggs, meats, sour cream, cheeses, oatmeal, ice cream,....pretty much everything is good. The only thing I can think of that I dislike is their cola and diet cola drinks. The others though are fine.

We like their bread and butter pickles too. Yummy!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Do they accept coupons?

·
Registered
933 Posts
:yucky: I tried their barbecue sauce but it was way too sweet for my taste.
Did you try the regular or the honey barbecue. We like the honey barbecue.

·
Registered
566 Posts
SAL is the only place we really shop. We can't afford to shop at the other sores in our area. Plus we come home w/2 carts full of food for less than $200.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just say no to their tuna fish-:yucky:

That's about it, everything else has been perfectly fine.

My 13 dd. absolutely loves their frozen salmon, it's thinner fillets than the ones they have at Aldi's and she likes it much better.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
They do take coupons but they very seldom have name brand items to use coupons on.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just checking in to see how your shopping trip went?:ponder:
What did you think of their prices and have you been happy with your products?:popcorn:

·
Registered
539 Posts
They sell bags fro ten cents each, so you should probably bring your own.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't been yet - it'll probably be tomorrow or Thursday. DH is stuck in NY right now at the end of his trip.... uuuggghhh...and I need him for the errand we're running in that area.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i was just at ours and the mac and cheese is .34¢ per box. hth

ETA: mac and cheese at dollar general is still 3/$1

·
Registered
264 Posts
Regarding shopping at Save A Lot -

I find decent deals on dairy products there, and frozen foods (tater tots, frozen veggies, etc.) I used to buy all of my canned veggies there, but lately have found that the quality seems to have declined. The last batch of canned green beans I got tasted WEIRD - every can, not just one. So I've started using more frozen veggies instead. Canned fruit seems to be ok there, though.

Things to avoid at SAL (in my opinion):
-any canned meat
-canned corned beef hash under any name other than a nationally-known brand (like Hormel). SAL's version is gritty, REALLY greasy and pretty tasteless.
-dill pickles - unless you like rubbery pickles
-SAL store brand frozen breaded fish fillets - mostly breading, very little fish.

I don't know if all SAL stores sell their plastic bags or not - but ours does - for $0.10 each. They're nice heavy re-useable bags, with handles. But we always just use the boxes provided by the store to tote our groceries home.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Regarding shopping at Save A Lot -

I find decent deals on dairy products there, and frozen foods (tater tots, frozen veggies, etc.) I used to buy all of my canned veggies there, but lately have found that the quality seems to have declined. The last batch of canned green beans I got tasted WEIRD - every can, not just one. So I've started using more frozen veggies instead. Canned fruit seems to be ok there, though.

Things to avoid at SAL (in my opinion):
-any canned meat
-canned corned beef hash under any name other than a nationally-known brand (like Hormel). SAL's version is gritty, REALLY greasy and pretty tasteless.
-dill pickles - unless you like rubbery pickles
-SAL store brand frozen breaded fish fillets - mostly breading, very little fish.

I don't know if all SAL stores sell their plastic bags or not - but ours does - for $0.10 each. They're nice heavy re-useable bags, with handles. But we always just use the boxes provided by the store to tote our groceries home.
Thats wierd about the bags ours doesnt have reusable bags and at my SAL they bag your groceries for you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts