Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone shops at Save-A-Lot, and what they think of it? Are the deals good? We have one nearby, but it's in a rough part of town. I figure I can go there early in the morning and it won't be too bad. :nerv2:

Thanks for any comments!

T

·
0 Posts
I liked them ok but preferred Aldi.
Aldi raised their prices so I have been to neither of them lately.
They are long drives for me.

I can't wait to see if others are saving at SAL :)

I'm saving big bucks and getting super fresh food from asian grocers.
So I will stick with that for a while I guess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I shop at Save A Lot.... They have their Little Debbie Snack cakes on sale right now for $1 and at 2 other grocery stores they are $1.39. I also buy Banquet Family Size meat there ... They are $2.19 (up in the past 6 mths but 20 cents) but at other grocery stores they are $2.49 and Michaelina's are always 99 cents there and $1.19 other places. Butterball sandwich meat is $1.99 a packet and at other stores $2.49 ...Milk and meat seems to be a little higher there. Those prices I know are correct for my Save A Lot because those are usually the only things I purchase there...The store is always clean and the cashiers usually know me. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Sometimes I'll shop at SAL. A month or so ago, I was shopping there pretty regularly, but lately I've just been watching sales and doing better that way.

I think if your planning on doing your overall grocery shopping at SAL, you'll have to be a little bit more narrow minded about what you buy.
Alot of items, they only carry one kind and of course, it's usually there store brand. There's absolutely nothing wrong with their products, it's just that you won't find the variety there like you do other stores.
Sometimes that can be a good thing, you don't have to try to figure out which salsa you want, when there's only one kind to buy, kwim?

As for your store? I've heard alot of people comment on dirty stores, but thankfully, although my store is and older one, they keep it clean.
The employees always seem nice, as well.

There have been several other threads about SAL, so those might help to answer some of your questions.

Hth you some!:flowers:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I stopped at a save a lot for the first time this weekend. The first thing I happened to see? Fruit flies all over the fruit. It really turned me off. I ended up buying a jar of planters peanuts and nothing else. I doubt I will ever go there again.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Some SAL are yucky and dirty. Mine can be at times. I will NOT buy many fruits or veggies there. I will occasionally buy potatoes or onions. I will occasionally buy fresh meat there. I always buy our kitty litter there. I always buy their canned ravioli too - DD goes through that ALOT. We bought a 2 pk of Tony's Frozen Pizza there last time and I won't do that again either. It was like the meat on it (pepperoni and beef) was really OLD. I will buy my pizzas (on the rare occasion that I do buy frozen) at Hannaford. Prices are going up everywhere though. :(

It's a hit or miss place. I wouldn't turn off from it just because some of their fruit was bad. It happens at alot of stores. You might find some other good deals.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Mine is so so.

I find it's keeps the over all spending down because I don't have many impulse buys. Like the others have said there aren't choices so that makes it quick and painless.

I'm waiting for the Aldis that is opening next month so I can compair

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all this input.... it seems like "results may vary"! So maybe on my day off I will check it out, and I'll report back what I find.

We don't have an Aldi store in northern Delaware. Boo-hoo :dis:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I live across the river from you. There is one Sav-a-lot here, no Aldi, nothing else but Acme ($$$$)
so, we have been shopping pretty exclusively at SAL. It has been open a few years now, they keep it clean and pretty nice. Since another nearby grocery store closed, many more people are shopping there. And we discovered, the more people that shop there, the better stocked it is, and more variety of items. As someone said you don't get the biggest variety, but right now saving money is our biggest goal, and we can do that there. I just plan our menu around what I know they have. Plus, they are always getting in special purchases, so sometimes we find a nice "surprise" to try. I think I know the store you are talking about, in a kind of bad section. There is another SAL on Route 13 near New Castle, from what I have heard, that is a much better one. So if you don't like the first one and can try that other one, you might have better luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
We used to have one; it closed about three years ago. It was nasty, dirty and stinky. I held my breath (as much as I could anyway) and checked out the prices and what was available anyway. I found if I hit the sales right and between Dollar Tree (ours has groceries and a cold section), Dollar General, and Family Dollar I did just as well or better.

I have a friend who swears by SAL but she has a nice clean one. Since they are hit and miss I don't know that I would specifically make a special trip to check it out but it'd probably be worth your time to take a looksee when in the area. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I like our SAL. I buy everything there except for the meats, I go to a slaughter house in the area, and I don't buy produce there. My kids love their frozen pizzas. Gail

·
Registered
980 Posts
SAL is definatly hit or miss. Some are bright and clean and some are not. The one we shop at is in a rough part of town but hey, they are just working people too. We have one coming in our little town and I can not wait. We buy a set list of items so we only go there about once a month. We like their store brands of canned goods. We can not beat the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts