Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of you who dabble with art understand the frustration of how expensive it is to be creative! I recently thought about these expenses and here's some ideas I came up with:

-switch to painting with watercolors more than oil painting (although dont give up oils). advantages: non-toxic, no fumes, fast/ easy to use, easy to store (flat papers), easy to market and sell, much cheaper than oils, takes up less room.

-use A.C. Moore discount cupon for expensive purchases such as Arches watercolor paper.

-try to sell art more!

-these are some of my money saving ideas;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing that I've found works great is to experiment with different media ... such as crayons or coloured pencils. These are often quite inexpensive and they can challenge you to become more creative. Just because they are marketed to kids doesn't mean they can't be used by adults.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you ever shop in the dickblick catelog? They have awesome deals sometimes. Almost every catelog has something that's like up to 80% off sometimes. Shipping can be high, though, so watch for shipping deals too.I just relized they sell polymer clay now there too, so I need to check out those prices soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Watercolor

I use Cheap Joe's American Journey watercolor paints...made by DaVinci paint co. The consistency and hues are amazing, and a lot of professional painters use them too... And the cost is much lower than say Windsor and Newton...they have great sales on them often, so check out their website. (I used to work there, and know it's a fantastic company) It's small, but great savings.
Peace,
Christie

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Dick Blick art supplies catalog is a great source for discounted supplies.

Also look into Michael's craft and Joann's craft coupons for more savings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts