Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all save on auto insurance? My 15 year old twins are just getting their permits and I am scared to see what it is going to cost me to insure them.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Don't be scared. Call a couple different companies and ask for estimates. Rates can vary a lot.

·
Super Moderator
2,000 Posts
Have them get PT jobs to contribute to the insurance bill. Even if it just baby sitting or raking leaves, let them know they own part of the bill.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
There used to be a discount for teens if they kept their GPA over a certain point but this was way back when I was young. Not sure about it these days....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
10 years ago they still offered a good student discount. Another thing that will save money is if they don't have their own cars. Sharing a car between them or just using what you have will save too. The sportier the car the more the insurance will be. new car vs old car. Older will be cheaper and you won't have to have full coverage on it.

·
Super Moderator
19,682 Posts
Our insurer didn't require insurance for the kids when they only had permits. That may have changed though. Once they had their licenses, they had to pay for their insurance, their cars, gas, maintenance, and repairs. Being forced to get a job automatically cut down on the miles they drove because they had to be at work a lot of the time and not running around with the car. It worked out well, gave them spending money, and taught them responsibility and consequences. If they spent all their money and then had to park their cars till they made enough to pay the insurance, it taught them to plan ahead and save for bills, too. There was no downside to making them responsible for their bills and we felt it was a big step toward helping them become responsible adults.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Our insurer didn't require insurance for the kids when they only had permits.
Ours either. Not until actual license. Nothing. Zip. Company was Nationwide.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Our kids didnt need insurance until they got their license. I required my kids to pay for their own insurance and half of their first car. It was cheaper by far to put them each on their own car which surprised me. Boys are more expensive than girls which made me grumble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts