Frugal Village Forums banner

Saving Saturday, December 8, 2012

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Trishagirl 
#1 ·
Staying home today. Talked myself out of going to the mall. Wanted to look around and see all the decorations but know I will end up buying something. Cold drizzly day here.

Hope everyone has a great Saving Saturday!

#3 ·
I've got to cut the sleeves on some sirts and hem them. Hey store, not everyone likes to wear long sleeves in winter.

Making caramel corn to take to a friend tomorrow.

I do want to get some feed corn to fill my hot bags for Christmas gifts. The corn stays hot longer than rice.

We had oatmeal for breakfast. Probably sandwiches for dinner.

#4 ·
Out of flour---going to the store and get a few things, adn then continue making sugar cookies to freeze for Christmas. Made two batches yesterday. Will frost them closer to Christmas.

After that, start on Buckeyes. Everybody loves those things, but I get soooo tired of rolling them and dipping them. LOL!

Got a load of living room blankets and throws in the wash. Then have a load of kitchen towels/washcloths.

Watching Georgia vs. Old Dominion U. Everytime I see college football players, they look like BABIES! How did I get so old?

#7 ·
I decided to venture out to the store today. I stocked up on flour 0.98/5lbs. I got 20 lbs.
C&H sugar $1.59/4lb, I got two
eggs were 0.98/dozen limit 2
Imperial margarine was 2/$1
8 oz cream cheese for 0.69
Brownie mixes $1.50 (I need to find a good recipe for milk chocolate brownies)
Choc. Chips 1.69

I told dh these were good prices and wished I had the money to stock up. He gave me some money we'd been saving and I got to stock up on backing supplies. Of course the store had a limit, but that's okay.

I wasn't planning to spend money today, but it's such a good deal, that it was worth getting out for.

#10 ·
Sounds like everybody is under the weather, whether sick or just feeling "blah"... same here. DD5 had a fever and we all had sore throats, so skipped ballet... had to go out to the grocery for a few things, and picked up redbox movies while I was there (had a code for $.50, so that makes it alright, right?? <G> So that's 3+ hours of my life gone, but I wasn't really up for much anyway.

Meanwhile I've run two loads of dishes, divided, packaged and frozen a whole turkey, made turkey noodle soup, tamale filling for tamales I'll make tomorrow and freeze until christmas, stock is still on the stove and noodles are boiling for Salisbury steak for dinner (yes, I realize it's 9pm, we've been running 3 hours late all day, so that's about right.) The hamburger was leftover from a huge pack I thawed earlier in the week, the bread crumbs were from frozen leftover squished hamburger buns I got for free ages ago after a company picnic, and I was out of dried basil, so I finally got around to thinning the seedlings that I've got growing in the window. Basil for the recipe, thinning done so plants can keep growing... win/win! Before I threw 'em back in the window, I even gave 'em a big drink of dishwater! Yay!
Oh, and for breakfast this morning (at 11am, because that's just how the day has gone...) I used up the last of the tortillas and leftover refried beans, some of the leftover salsa (the rest went into the tamale meat) plus eggs, cheese and bacon and had delicious breakfast tacos!
So it was a good day for using things up... but I didn't get the presents wrapped or packages finished and mailed... didn't build the gingerbread house, will have to do that tomorrow (DD5 was MAD!!!)

*DID* try the smores brownies recipe I got here on the site and DANG!!! Soooooo good.

Speaking of brownies-- JettsMom, try "Katherine Hepburn's Brownies" (It's on Epicurios.com) They are the real deal.

#11 ·
Got our christmas tree. We always go to a private residence that sells trees. I bought a 6' fir for $30. We also bought a $10 mayo jar sized honey for DD's BF's bithday. That guy loves honey. They are great people. I brought my great Dane mix and he had a blast sniffing around.
We did slurge on a lg. pizza but it was all in the budget.

#12 ·
Spent the day w/dh we packed a lunch & went to the city went to see the gingerbread houses then to see the fantasy of lights for a donation towards The American Wheelchair Society. Its our yearly tradition. Had a great time. We were supposed to go see a castle decorated but we couldn't find it. Maybe we will find it next yr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.