Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Thought I would drop in an tell you that I saw the house we will probably rent yesterday. I said my hubby was going to check it out, but I couldn't wait. We only got to see the outside though. It looks structurely sound from the outside. They are working on the roof where the tree hit is. I got to peek through a couple of windows and I can tell you the people who were/are living there sure didn't take care of it. Just what I could see we will probably not be paying rent for about a year, since she said she would take it off our rent any remodeling we did. I can tell you that all of the rooms are going to have to be painted. I saw what I thought was part of the kitchen and the flooring is torn pretty good. The covered front porch (something I have always wanted) has only got particle board for florring so that will have to be replaced. Also the outside is going to have to be painted. From what we have found out the owner thinks they have already moved into the house they bought, but their phone # is unlisted and they changed the locks on the doors. So she is trying to get up with them to get keys to let us look in the inside. I am afraid that if they have already moved out we are going to have a mess to clean out of there before we even start work on it.
We have also found a farmhouse in town that the owners usually rent out and it is not rented at the moment. They live out of state and my mother is trying to get in touch with them. It will not need quiet as much work, I don't think. So if this one is out of our price range I think we will go with the $400 dollar house and quit looking.
The Lord will provide.
Jeanna:yoyo:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I agree, God will provide. All the best on whichever house you decide on. I like your positive attitude.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
It will work it selfout either way ! I do admire your good spirit Jeanna !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've BTDT- with these landlords. They're just looking for someone to fix up their house for free labor. Believe me- they do not appreciate the umpteen billion hours you put into it. We did that with one apt- and in one room- we rehung a new ceiling, repaired water damage on one wall, new wall paper, new carpet, rewired all the electrical. We pretty much gutted the room and put in everything new. The landlord had the nuts to b*tch we didn't paint the trim around the windows. Don't bother with it- if they want the place fixed- let them do it themselves or hire someone. And they were another one who didn't clean the place before we moved in. The first day there- DH had the toilet out on the front lawn because someone flushed a wad of paper towels. The guy was a slumlord.

Laura

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: We are going for the $400 dollar house. The other house here in town the woman wanted $1000.00 a month and she wanted us to do the work and not take anything off of the rent.
Laura, I do know what you mean and we have done decided that part of the work we are going to let her get someone to do, but we really want to get in it somethime in June and we are afraid if we let someone else do all the work we will be waiting and waiting. Also the woman who own's it is one of Ken's friends sister and brother in-law. We also plan on staying for a long time if possible so we kind of want it to feel like it is somewhat "our" house, if that makes sense.
I have not told my son that we have picked this one. I told him we were not getting the other one and we were still keeping our eyes open around town (which we are until the 15th).
I am sorry I have not been on the computer today. My mother and I were starting on our basement. We were doing real well until my mother fell. She hurt her anckle pretty bad. She says it isn't broke, but it sure is swelled. So please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
Well got to go get the kids.
Jeanna

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Jeana,

I bet you will have it fixed and looking cute as can be in no time at all. I hope that the repairs go well and quickly and you can get in in June.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts