Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work part-time as a nanny and the pay is good. I've been doing it for years while going to school, even after I got my baby in June (he comes to work with me). So this spring we (as in me and DH) decided I'll stop working once the kids I take care off are out of school for the summer since I'm overly stressed out and my grades haven't been good lately. I am scared!! I thought I'd like the idea of staying at home but my credit card balances keep on visiting my nightmares. DH makes good money but we have so much debt to pay off and I feel bad for not being able to contribute financially to our life. Please tell me feeling like this is normal, it's so difficult for me to be a SAHM (oh and a student as well) after working continuously since I was 16.

·
27,948 Posts
Sounds like a good time for a break, you can always change your mind and go back. Wishing you luck! :heartsm:

·
8,714 Posts
~You may find that your time will be freed up to save more money at home. I know I contribute more to our finances by shopping smart, cooking all our meals, hanging laundry, mending, ect., than I would contribute by bringing home a paycheck. Try making it a game. See if you can match your former salary in what you can now do at home. Being the "At-Home" person IS a job! Treating it like one helps me feel less stir-crazy and more validated. Good luck!!~

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Sounds like a good time for a break, you can always change your mind and go back. Wishing you luck! :heartsm:
Just what I was thinking......maybe it is a great time for a break. Good luck!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I was just wondering if you were going to be taking classes in the summer? If not, maybe it would be a good idea to just keep watching the kids for the summer? You could use all your money towards your credit cards and really find out what it's like living on one income. Either way, once you are living on one income you will find that it is not that difficult. You actually spend less money on things like eating out and actually think about spending money before you make those purchases. Though I have found that when you are taking even 2 classes and being a SAHM that it is like you are working a fulltime job. Especially if your child is less than a year old it really seems to put a lot of pressure on a person. I can only really work on school work while she's napping or after she goes to bed.. along with having to get dishes and other household chores done.
Anyway, I'm sure once you are at home you will enjoy life a little more. I know I do. I can actually be with my little one everyday and I don't have someone else raising her. They grow up so fast, and I'm so glad that I can be home with her everyday. I worked fulltime and took classes when my son was little so I feel like I missed out on a lot.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
:yeah: :hugz:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Look at it this way: You're not helping financially if you're not getting your full money's worth out of your education that you're paying for. If not working means that you'll have more time to study and get better grades, then you are helping financially. It will also help free up time for your own family, so you can do more cost-cutting activities.

I'm currently working 3 days a week (it finally ends next week!), and I've realized just how much I really do save us by being at home. Our food budget has skyrocketed because we're eating out more, and I'm buying a lot more convenience foods. I'm tired and short on time, so I'm wasting money on stuff I usually made at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts