Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

5,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
3,770 Posts
I disagree with the concept that it is healthy to deep fry vegetables in order to get children to eat them. I don't like all the cream sauces. Today on the menu here for the grade school there was baked chicken legs, baked french fries, raw carrot sticks with FF dressing or salsa and grapes. I think that is healthier than what I saw on the French menu.I like the idea of making sure everything is tidy.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Well our schools today are serving pizza, peas (canned) and jello with chocolate or white whole milk. Yuk!

Reactions: nuisance26

· Registered
9,309 Posts
Most notably what is missing from these French school lunches is chemicals, additives & colorings. What's glaring is the freshness of the food, the skill employed, and the care that goes into feeding the children. Oh my, what a concept!

· Registered
695 Posts
Lunch here is absolutely appalling. On the menu today...cheeseburgers (just the thought of the awful meat they use makes me cringe, and I don't care that it's served on a "whole grain bun"), fries and a fruit cup. Staples on our school's menu...nachos with meaty cheese sauce, mini corn dog nuggets, pizza, stuffed cheese sticks, and hot dogs.

21,852 Posts
Did you notice - no paper plates? Great point of view to take towards eating - mahalo that was so interesting!!

· Registered
8,366 Posts
It looked yummy.

I liked that they said about time to eat and all the other social aspects for eating. I tend to see that here in our schools with little kids like three but not older children. "Americans gobble their food" they say I say we learned it at school.

I agree didn't like the deep fry food to get the children to eat broccoli comment. I have seen many a young child gooble up many a veggie with out deep frying including broccoli.

Our school lunch is good compared to others in US.

Lunch always has a 1 protein source 2 starch source 1 veggie and 1 fruit and a carton of milk. Although today that have 2 veggies and a fruit, So three of their 5 a day.

They also like to mix the selections up and possibly introduce the kids to new foods. you should have seen the first day Beets were on the menu. The other children were like what are those? My kids were like Dude they are beets. Same things happened when beans were on the menu and I'm not talking baked beans here.

Reactions: nuisance26

· Registered
8,366 Posts
Did you notice - no paper plates? Great point of view to take towards eating - mahalo that was so interesting!!
Do the little children in your preschool eat of paper plates?

The little ones her do not but the older ones just recently started to use throw away trays. sigh.

· Registered
8,366 Posts
Well our schools today are serving pizza, peas (canned) and jello with chocolate or white whole milk. Yuk!
Whole Milk! I missed that the first read.

At school the kids get a 2%milk if they want chocolate it is skim milk Middle school and high school have water as drink choice.

Little Miss doesn't get milk ( can't drink it) and can take whatever I send. I send water.

· Registered
205 Posts
When I was nursing in the school locally foam trays were used by everybody. Breakfast usually consisted if grits, toast and applesauce. occasionally grits and eggs and even less often a meat. If a child couldn't eat something on the tray there was no substitute offered. Lunch was more balanced but still not very good.

· Registered
3,736 Posts
I'm not above deep frying my vegetables to get my kids to eat them. It's just something I hadn't thought of yet. :laugh: Who can argue with them? I think the French typically enjoy a high fat diet and (previously anyway) they had been much thinner than here in the US. Besides, broccoli is an acquired taste, just like other vegetables. If you're getting it deepfried, the broccoli flavor is going to be something you get used to and start to associate with good food.

If you introduce a kid to broccoli when it's plain and steamed, you're not going to get a good reaction. Later on when you tell that kid that you're having broccoli, no matter how it's served, they're going to go "ew, gag me" or something else equally bratty. You introduce it to a kid deep fried or smothered in fatty, yummy goodness, then the next time you tell your kid you're having broccoli, they're going to be much more receptive. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but you really have to think like a kid to get it. Kids don't make a lot of sense.

· Registered
2,531 Posts
I use to be on a school board, I could tell you stories. But I am sure you all know them, seen them or well have seen Jamie Oliver :) for a slight indication...LOL

What a beautiful, clean kitchen and staff, great hygiene program, and healthy meals. What a concept :)

Reactions: pollypurebred39

· Premium Member
9,936 Posts
If you introduce a kid to broccoli when it's plain and steamed, you're not going to get a good reaction.
Not necessarily. Steamed & plain is just about the only way my kids get broccoli. And they all love it. Very very rarely (2-3x/year) do they have it with cheese on it. My 9yo ds actually prefers his broccoli raw (yuk!) lol.

I thought the video was interesting from a food safety perspective. I love that every bottle, package, produce is thoroughly washed before being sent to the schools. I really like that small children are being exposed to a variety of foods.

Today the k-6 schools served pizza (again), "garden salad" (which is a clump of iceberg lettuce w/ Italian dressing), Fruit Bar (nutri-grain type), and pineapple. And chocolate milk, can't forget the chocolate milk :rolleyes:

The kids have school 15 days this month (spring break next week) and of those 15 it breaks down to this:

Pizza - 3 days
meatball subs - 2 days
chicken nuggets - 3 days
french toast/waffle sticks - 2 days
grilled cheese - 1 day
tacos - 1 day
hot dogs - 1 day
mac & cheese - 1 day

· Registered
1,481 Posts
I read an article 2 years ago about school lunches in France, it was eye opening. Our school lunches in America cannot begin to compare to school lunches in France.

From what is being served for lunch to how the French serve lunch makes one wonder about food in American culture.

Even when France has a budget crisis they do not touch their school lunch budget. I feel this shows the value they place on their children.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
This brings to mind the story this week of the school that banned packed lunches. The principal said it was because school lunch was more nutritious. I 'm sure that is true in some cases. I'm not sure how they could mandate I buy something though. And it does make me wonder if that principal also had the bottom line in mind for her school. My kids who go to school pack their lunch. Fruit, sandwich or soup or leftovers and water. Maybe a home baked sweet. At least I know what is in it. Don't get me started on how little time they get to eat and then to make sure they do in such a short time the mandated no lunch talking. No wonder our country has food issues.

· Registered
3,736 Posts

· Registered
8,366 Posts
Not necessarily. Steamed & plain is just about the only way my kids get broccoli. And they all love it. Very very rarely (2-3x/year) do they have it with cheese on it. My 9yo ds actually prefers his broccoli raw (yuk!) lol.

I thought the video was interesting from a food safety perspective. I love that every bottle, package, produce is thoroughly washed before being sent to the schools. I really like that small children are being exposed to a variety of foods.

Today the k-6 schools served pizza (again), "garden salad" (which is a clump of iceberg lettuce w/ Italian dressing), Fruit Bar (nutri-grain type), and pineapple. And chocolate milk, can't forget the chocolate milk :rolleyes:

The kids have school 15 days this month (spring break next week) and of those 15 it breaks down to this:

Pizza - 3 days
meatball subs - 2 days
chicken nuggets - 3 days
french toast/waffle sticks - 2 days
grilled cheese - 1 day
tacos - 1 day
hot dogs - 1 day
mac & cheese - 1 day
That sure isn't much variety.

Our school lunch doesn't repeat anything main dish during a month. 20 days in a month 20 different dishes. They do repeat veggies and fruit but not in the same week. 5 days in a week = 5 different veggies five different fruits

There is a hot dog on the menu this month once but not other hot dog item like a corn dog this month. Hot dog items only shows up once every couple of months.

April 1st main dish was vegetarian chilli

Dessert is severed a few times a month normally on a lower calorie day so they can met their calorie quota.

I'm feeling quite lucky compared to others

· Registered
8,366 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.