Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...

I guess I needed to share this with people who maybe know where I am coming from, have gone through it themselves or just plain old will listen to me.

I am currently a senior in college, graduating in May and I have 21 credits. I got through my first round of tests with all B's and am now on round two (of four). I know that I need to study and do well - I really want to get A's in most of my classes - but I am just so burned out and tired. I'm tired of trying to find time in my busy schedule to keep up with everything. I'm tired of cramming useless knowledge into my head that I know I won't be using in my future. I'm tired of having to worry about trying to do well...

One of the things that is really getting me down is that my entired college career I wanted to earn a 3.5 in order to graduate with honors. In high school, I missed graduating with honors by 0.02 (you needed a 3.6 and I had like a 3.58)...and now here I sit, my last semester with a GPA of 3.48. I did the math, and if I get only 2 B's this semester (which i can do if I try really hard) I can get above a 3.5 and officially "graduate with honors." So i got all excited and determined to work hard - then I realized that the final grades for this semester won't be included in my cumulative GPA until AFTER the graduation ceremony. I called today and checked with our registration and records office...and even if I get all A's this semester I can't walk the ceremony with honors like I've wanted to so badly, because my GPA won't be high enough by the ceremony.

I wanted this so badly, that I'm crying because it's so close but yet so far. My problem now is that I feel like the stress of trying really hard this semester is not worth it if I can't walk with honors. It's good to have above a 3.5 in case someone ever looks at my GPA in the future or in case I want to go to grad school, but in all honesty I don't ever see myself going to grad school. I'm tired of school and I'm stressed out and I just want to be done. And I hate that no matter how hard I work I can't walk with honors like I wanted to.... and I'm annoyed that no matter how hard I try I always miss the mark by 0.02!!!

Anyone else ever feel this way? I feel so... almost like a failure. Even though a 3.48 is still really good and I know I won't let myself do bad this semester, I'm just so dissappointed because once again I miss something I really wanted.

I'll take any encouragement I can get - I have 2 more exams this week that I don't feel like studying for because I feel like it's pointless. Don't worry.. I will study though. I'm too much of a perfectionist to just blow it off completely.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Yes, I have felt that way. In fact, one of the few decisions in my life that I look back on with regret was spurred by such feelings. I had to transfer between my junior and senior years due to a serious medical problem. I managed to do so within the same college system (UC), but to a much less prestigious school. Due to differing requirements between the schools, it was going to take an extra term to pick up 2 courses that were not being offered when I needed them. I temperamentally decided that I'd had it and I wanted out, and so changed my major and got a B.S. in Administration (okay, the Bachelor of Science instead of Bachelor of Arts indicated a degree of mathematical intensity, but the Admin was not a good move). I had little respect for my degree, and kept getting offered jobs as a file clerk or office admin at barely over minimum wage. I ended up back in school for a graduate degree so fast it wasn't funny, so I didn't even escape school as was my intent. Instead I ended up with yet another degree that I have little respect for (unaccredited grad school) and have almost never worked in the field of my degrees. Luckily, in those days, anyone with good aptitude could break into the computer field, which is where I've been most of my professional life.

The jist? Follow your plan instead of your temptations. It is likely to make a difference to you internally, which can affect how you represent yourself to employers and colleagues. Also, pat yourself on the back for me! Do you realize how rare graduating with a 3.5 is? Treasure it, and your own accomplishment!!!!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I wanted this so badly, that I'm crying because it's so close but yet so far. My problem now is that I feel like the stress of trying really hard this semester is not worth it if I can't walk with honors. It's good to have above a 3.5 in case someone ever looks at my GPA in the future or in case I want to go to grad school, but in all honesty I don't ever see myself going to grad school. I'm tired of school and I'm stressed out and I just want to be done. And I hate that no matter how hard I work I can't walk with honors like I wanted to.... and I'm annoyed that no matter how hard I try I always miss the mark by 0.02!!!
I DO know how you feel because I too worked hard just to get my GPA to 3.8 so I could graduate Magna Cum Laude. In high school I was just a percentage of a point away from being the Valedictorian. But do I think about it now? No. And I AM in grad school. No one cares that I got a 3.8 instead of a 3.79. It shows not an ounce more of my critical ability.

I would not worry about it so much. If you aren't even going to grad school your grades don't matter at all. I understand it's a sense of personal pride, obviously, or I would not have cared about my 3.8. But I promise you that it isn't that important in the long run. So just do the best you can and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I graduated Magna Cum Laude with almost a 3.7 GPA and I went into the wrong field for me. I want to go back to school for a graduate degree in the next few years, but I am taking the time now to figure out what I really want to do with the rest of my life.

As for anyone caring about my honors, I feel proud of myself and my family was proud of me. On the other hand, potential employers have not seemed to notice, the ones who did I am convinced didn't hire me because they thought I was smarter than them. It really can work for you or against you depending on the circumstance. I wouldn't stress too much about it, you are a very smart person to even come close to a 3.5 in college, it is honorable and will look good on a resume. I was in a hiring position in the past and we hired people with barely a 3.0 for teaching positions. There is so much more to a person than just their GPA.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awww..thanks guys.

Since I wrote this morning I talked to both my fiance and mom, who put things into perspective for me. No matter what my GPA ends up being I still have a lot to be proud of, and graduating with a gold cord doesn't change all of my accomplishments. I came to school and graduated within four years, a big deal since I was abroad a year which sets most people back at least an extra semester - if not more. I've worked hard and gotten good grades the entire time... even when I was in Germany. One of the main reasons really, why my GPA isn't quite high enough is that the grades I earned from my two semesters abroad didn't count towards my GPA - and they probably would have raised it that last 0.02!

Not only will I have graduated on time, but I also have always known what I wanted to do and have a degree in a career field I absolutely love. I have practical experience as well as the academic knowledge behind it and have no doubt that this field will make me happy. In fact one of my two jobs is currently in my chosen field, so there really is no doubt at all. I have plans for the summer, and an internship in Texas in the fall where they chose me out of 300 applicants. During the fall I will be applying for full time positions for next year, and will likely find something. One place I applied to this year asked me if I could start before April because I have great experience, but they really needed someone sooner than May (after I get done with school) so I know that it isn't a matter of me not having what I need to get someplace.

I've just had a bad few weeks with my laptop going bad and having to get a new computer. Then my car broke down and that cost $400 to fix (although it was supposed to cost $500, I got a coupon at the last minute and saved money). Because of my car and other stress I didn't study as much as I should have for my test yesterday and got a C, then today I found out about this honors thing, which made me sad. But now that I know that I can't walk at graduation with honors, I don't feel so pressured to get my GPA to a 3.5. I realize that even if I graduate with a 3.48 or even if it goes down a by 0.01 or 0.02 or something, that I still am doing well and have a lot to be proud of. I will still try my best... but I'll try to remember what's really important in life.

With that said, I guess I better study for my other exams this week. :(

Thanks again!

·
27,948 Posts
:clap:Yay Mindy! :cheergrl: Be proud, hold your head high, you've earned it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts