Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is that time of year again and we always spend way to much! I am much better with money if I have to tell you ladies about it so who wants to join in? I am going to keep track of the clothes, shoes, and supplies we buy for them to start school this year. I will not count the $10.00 binder for dd because I refused to spend that much on it so she paid for it with her own money. DS will be using the same backpack as last year because he is just starting Kindergarten and it still looks new. I also will not be buying too many clothes thanks to rummage sales this year. Anyway here is what I have so far
2- 4 packs of pencil sharpeners- $0.96
3 packs of markers $2.34
BTW I am buying for 3 kids to start school.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Great idea Angelee! I only have 1 to buy for, but I offered to help a friend out since I'm in the city every week where they have the better sales on stuff. I was at Target the other day and got 20 of the 70 page spiral notebooks that were .10 each plus 12 pocket folders for .12 each since those are things we use a lot of anyway. I hope to take advantage of tax free weekend here and go to the mall Sunday morning to find ds some school clothes. He doesn't need much, socks and T-shirts I think. Hopefully Pennys will be having a good sale on those things and I have a $20 gift card.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have spent $3.88 on a zipper trapper for dd......
Like new Eastpacks for the kids (yards sales) .50c each
10 packs of filler paper.... (18c each) $1.80....
I buy extra while it's on sale, enough for the whole school year so I'm not buying it later for $2.00 a pack...
35 floders .01c each at Shopko......... .35
20-70 pages theme books (.05ceach) ...... 1.00
Crayola colored pecils (2/1.00) with coupon FREE bought 4
Crayola markers(2/1.00) with coupon free bought 4
http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=25160&highlight=crayola
Crayola washable markers 2/1.00 free with coupon bought 2

Crayola crayons...... 18c box bought 4
I buy extra crayons, markers, colored pencils etc for stocking stuffers and art boxes....
Pencil boxes .20c each at walmart.... bought 3 (1 for ds for school 2 for Christmas)
2 rulers, 2-3 packs of chunky erasers..... .10c ea... .40c

$9.75 so far..........
:D

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I went to Walgreens Sunday and bought some things, but everything I bought I get my money back on cause they were rebate items and I also used a gift card that I had to purchase the items with. So I had no money out of pocket there, except for .49 for a pair of Fiskar scissors.

Then I went to Eckerd's and purchased 10 spiral theme books for $1 with a coupon they had.

I went to WM and spent $6.98 in school supplies there. I am through with all the school supplies. This is for 3 kids!

So total for school supplies is $8.47.

I plan on going to JC Penneys this weekend and seeing what they have on sale. I have a $30 gc to use there. I am hoping they will have a $10 off $50 coupon in their store flyer like they have been doing. So I will only be out $10 or more. I only plan on buying them shoes, socks, underware, some shirts, and another pair of pants. I just purchased some pants and shirts for them the day we went on vacation.

I am not going to purchase alot since they have plenty.

I need to buy 2 backpacks....for Richard and Chris because their straps broke last year. Dakota's is still in good shape and he can use it again this year. No sense in wasting money for another backpack.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
Whoa, what great deals! I need to shop with you guys :)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have to buy for one but instead of School Supplies .
I buy Homeschool Supplies and Office Supplies for my DH .
We have a Tax Free Weekend Coming up I am just not sure what Weekend it will be.
So I have to buy:
Pencils.
Markers.
Glue.
Pens.
Writing Pads.
Paper.
Stapler.
Staples.
PaperClips.
Workbooks for Preschool Age for DD.
Construction Paper.
Liquid Paper.
Erasers.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
We are having tax free weekend right now!!!!!Woohoo :smball: :smball: :smball: :smball: :D

I'm trying to keep it all (including clothes)under $50.So far here's what I've gotten

1-pencil box .20
1-36 ct. pencils .90
1-pair shoes for lauren 6.99
1-pair jeans for lauren 4.99
1-backpack bought @ys .50
1-lilo lunch [email protected] 2.99
Total$16.50

All she needs now is crayons and dress shoes,I'm including bubba on this too he needs tennis shoes.I think I should stay in my budget.

Oh I also picked up markers .78 ea and colored pencils .54 ea for a artists basket for christmas.But those go on christmas budget,also did the walgreens rebate stuff and a few clearance items(that were tax free at target)with my $5 gift card from the jeans(oh and I bought 1 pair of shorts and took them back(got the $5 gift card and then bought laurens jeans and they went ahead and gave me another!!!!!Woohoo free money lol

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I have not started buying the school supplies yet. But this weekend we do hope to start. (I have been broke since the trip to Arizona)

NC is having tax free weekend on school supplies so we are headed there to visit her grandma and do a little shopping. I have already told dd that I am not buying new clothes other than tennis shoes and maybe a a couple of shirts. She still has plenty that fit. I will wait and buy her pants later. She's very tall and thin and horrible to fit. It takes a full day to buy jeans :yuk: At the rate she's growing I don't dare buy much ahead.

She will get a new bookbag since the last one died a slow and horrible death. It barely made it thru the last month of school. I will not buy another one with the wheels. She is just to hard on them. It will be a regular back pack this time.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well I did just the opposite Girls. My kids have never been "school shoping" before, because we just didn't have the money. Well this year my husband sold a round baler and had some extra money so we went shoping. Got lots of clothes and then what they needed in the school supply section. Trust me, they were in awe. We came out of one store and my son told my mom that I had just spent $52 dollars and he just couldn't believe it. So between the 2 of them I probably have spent $400.
I've been a bad, bad girl.
Jeanna
:shame:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Jeanna,
That's what being frugal is for. When we have money we can use it for what we want. You have been frugal all those years with the kids, and I think it was great to have a big splurge this time. The kids will always think back to what a great mom you were to treat them so good.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Thanks Pat. I really don't feel bad about it. I do think they needed it this year since we had to move and all.
Jeanna

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
DONE with school shopping! Since I haven't gotten child support for way too long, but did get my tax rebate I got ds some new clothes. Oops, I will have to get him another couple pairs of new pants. At least dxh got his a couple pairs of shorts and some shoes!

Pennys
2- 6packs of socks
5 T shirts
1 pair of very nice cargo jeans
2 camp shirts
$111.19

School Supplies
2 doz pencils
Fiscars Scissors
ruler
rolling backpack
4 packs of filler paper
protractor
zip binder
2 red gel pens
glue
erasers
pencil holder thing for his binder
colored pencils
$30.22

Then I got a bunch of stuff for us while it was cheap
4 1" binders
rubber bands (I used all mine on that diaper cake)
6 index dividers
6 tape
2 glue
2 black roller pens for dh
$8.41

It could be worse I guess.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AngeleeBob
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I am done and here is my grand total: $263.36! I feal it is way to much but dh says I did good. But what does he know. LOL This included all school supplies for all 3 kids. 2 packs of socks per child 1 pack of undies per child 1 pair of tennis shoes for each one, one new outfit per child plus 3 more outfits for brandi because she had nothing that fit. It's nice to have it all done.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I don't have kids, but know how expensive things are and I think you all did GREAT!!! :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts