Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given 5 quarts of half and half yesterday. I've got some pie crust dough to use up anyone got a pie recipe that uses half & half?
Searched recipeczar and didn't find any I could use.

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Heavenly Banana Split Pie (uses one quart of Half & Half)
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1713,131180-244193,00.html

Dale/Crossly Family Sugar Cream Pie
(source: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Desserts/SugarCreamPie.htm)

Baked for 9-inch one crust pie
1/4 pound butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated pure cane sugar
1 pint half and half cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare pie pastry and bake according to the directions.

In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter or margarine. Whisk in flour until smooth. Add sugar and half and half cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture thickens, pour it into the baked pie shell. Sprinkle with grated cinnamon and nutmeg.

Bake for 10 minutes or until the filling is bubbly. Remove from oven.

Although you may refrigerate the pie, it usually isn’t necessary to get it to set.
---------------

If you ever make homemade yogurt, using Half & Half makes a wonderful dessert yogurt.

Half-and-Half Yogurt

2 c. whole milk
2 c. half-and-half
3 T. plain yogurt, room temperature

Rinse a 2-quart saucepan with water. Pour in milk and half-and-half. Mix well. Attach thermometer and heat milk over low heat to 190°F to 210°F (90°-99°C). Remove from heat and cool to 110°F (43°C). Remove protein film from top of milk. In a small bowl, stir yogurt until creamy. Mix about 1/3 c. warm milk mixture into yogurt. Blend until smooth. Stir yogurt-milk mixture into remaining milk. Mix well. Pour into a 1-1/2 quart container or individual containers. Cover. Incubate 3-4 hours, remove cover and gently shake mixture to see if it is firm. If not firm, let stand 1 more hour and check again. Refrigerate as soon as yogurt begins to set. Chill at least 6 hours before serving. Makes about 1-quart. (source: Yogurt Cookery by Sophie Kay)

·
Registered
42 Posts
A sugar cream pie made with brown sugar instead of white is a butterscotch pie, which makes a nice change of pace and adds a depth to the flavor that my family always enjoyed. Also, you could just freeze the half and half, if you're having trouble using it quickly.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have a good butterscotch pie recipe if you're interested. It's a bit time-consuming, but worth the effort because the taste is wonderful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts