Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I finally found the secret to fast, consistent weight loss with out starving or spending hours exercising. (Everyone should exercise! Although I admit that I have not much in the past year, I would like to start walking, to build muscle tone.) Save your money on the latest exercise/diet fads, and invest in your long term health. seeing a video of Mimi Kirk inspired me to change my diet and GO VEGAN!!, although i'm not a raw vegan, I try to eat as much raw produce as possible.

Going vegan is not a diet it's a life style change. I was 169 pounds in Feb, I'm now 31 about 138, and every week (without exercise) the number keeps going down. I had to buy all new clothing, I'm now 5'7 and a size 6. I cut out all dairy/animal products from my diet and I drink sparkling water instead of soda. I try to buy organic products when I can, but not always there is a list on the peta site called "Accidentally, vegan" with items you would not guess would be vegan, being vegan does not take as much time or money as you might think.

I eat through out the day and do not feel hungry at all. I have not had energy for years, and finally feel it coming back, I am not in bed by 7PM anymore. My mind seems clearer, my skin cleared up and I have a glow. All the additives in the food, and dairy products are very unhealthy.

You can be vegan and still be frugal. You eat less and feel fuller, plus it's worth the cost of staying healthy. I have been losing about 5-10 pounds per month, I'm sure If I exercise it would be more. And it's costs only what your going to eat on a daily basis, no pills, videos, equipment ect. Look up the vegan diet on you tube if interested. Just thought I would share. -Stacia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdeC3OJJIzA

·
8,714 Posts
~Congrats! That's great that you've found a way of eating that makes you feel more energetic! The weight loss in and of itself could have done that as well.
I do wonder, though, if your weight loss has stabilized? I've read a lot about Vegans who can't stop losing and get to dangerously low weights before they're forced to bump their eating to Vegetarian/Not strictly Vegan. I'm a veggie lover myself and I often struggle to get enough calories during the day due to my preferences. I've always hovered on the cusp of underweight and wondered how scrawny I would be if I didn't eat meat, dairy and processed carbs to up my calories. If you know the secret to getting enough calories all Vegan, please share! I would love to be able to eliminate dairy completely.~

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I have actually had to start making myself eat almond, sunflower, peanut butters, Hail merrys.. Items with protein, even when i'm not feeling hungry because the weight comes off so fast. I do not want to have lose skin so i'm actually trying to eat more carbs and proteins. (Never thought I would have that problem..lol) I'm going to start walking to build muscle.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
While in theory it sounds great. But you can be a Vegan and still be fat.

There are a boatload of Vegan processed foods out there that are loaded with calories just as non-vegan food.
Vegans can still eat chips, cookies, crackers.... Chinese Food, Italian Food, Mexican Food....

I have been a Vegan for 17 yrs ~ a vegetarian for 28....

Your idea of fruits & veggies has great merit. Raw foods are wonderful. Yes, when one sticks to a strict vegan diet they do have clearer skin, brighter eyes, healthier hair & nails.... all the vitamins and minerals you consume does wonders for the body. All the added preservatives, chemicals, and other crap that you eliminate from your diet has amazing effects...you lose the hunger pangs and cravings that eating processed foods can cause... You can eat more bulk, because veggies are less calories for denser foods....

However when the honeymoon of the new found diet and lifestyle is over - Veganism is just plain hard to live with each and every day for the remainder of your life. You can still overeat even the good foods. You can (and I know a lot that have) - gain their weight back. Calories are calories - too many in and you must exercise and move the body or you will gain.

You learn that the world is not Vegan friendly (though in the past 20 yrs we have made tremendous strides toward available choices besides lettuce or lettuce.... You learn that eating out becomes a thing of the past (which can be a good thing)... Next time you are in a 'traditional' restaurant - look at the menu and try to find how many choices you have that are truly- all completely Vegan... Most Vegans I know do all their own cooking. I bet I have seen the inside of a restaurant only 1/2 dozen times in the past year...

I am never without food in my purse or in my car, or in my pocket... I just returned from Vegas, and I took an entire suitcase of food with me. I have learned that I can never presume that I will find acceptable foods where ever I am.

I wish you the best of luck in your new found love. I have never regretted becoming a Vegan and I have never looked back either. It's a lifestyle that I embrace wholeheartedly (and you will find that there are plenty of other Vegans here at FV that feel the same way)...But unfortunately if you are using it only as a way to lose weight - you will probably not find the lifestyle sustainable.

Congrats on your weight loss!

·
Registered
621 Posts
As far as restaurant eating, have you heard of happycowdotnet? My son is an ethical vegan and travels a lot and he has had good luck findiing places to eat on that website. Of course traveling the West Coast may be a lot different than other areas of the country. Just thought I would share in case it helps anyone.

Reactions: sabrelvssammy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts