Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have one of those sodium vapor lights over the barn door that illuminates our driveway and a couple of months ago we decided to turn it off. WOW is my driveway dark now. :abduct:

Anyway, the point of the thread is the cost. HOLY CRAP!

These are my bills-

June - $113
July - $121
August - $114 (we turned off the light sometime in August)
Sept - $71
Oct - $53

I'm having a difficult time believing that light cost us that much!

Anybody have any experience with the operating cost of those lights?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I really dont know i run 3 of them plus all my other electrical items and my bill that i paid yesterday was $330~

·
4,028 Posts
Did that drop coincide with less use of an air conditioner in the house?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen one of those lights before...we have the regular motion detector light with the two 100w bulbs. My dad wanted ours set to extra sensitive and had DF set the limit/range for it but the prob with that is that you could be sitting in my driveway in the car moving your arms about and it won't detect you yet if you drive by slow enough on the road past the house, it turns on. Go figure LOL Ours is constantly turning on and off from 6pm - 1am be it the neighbours setting it off, the neighbours cat frolicking or cars passing by. I don't think it really added too much to our hydro bill though...there wasn't a significant spike when I look at it online from the month we had it installed and the previous month where we had it turned off.

:skept: Russ - are you afraid of the dark? :abduct:

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I've ever seen one of those lights before...we have the regular motion detector light with the two 100w bulbs. My dad wanted ours set to extra sensitive and had DF set the limit/range for it but the prob with that is that you could be sitting in my driveway in the car moving your arms about and it won't detect you yet if you drive by slow enough on the road past the house, it turns on. Go figure LOL Ours is constantly turning on and off from 6pm - 1am be it the neighbours setting it off, the neighbours cat frolicking or cars passing by. I don't think it really added too much to our hydro bill though...there wasn't a significant spike when I look at it online from the month we had it installed and the previous month where we had it turned off.

:skept: Russ - are you afraid of the dark? :abduct:

I am considering the MD lights but... We have a lot of critters running around and that thing will be going on and off all night!

Not afraid of the dark, afraid of the low lifes in the area breaking into the barns.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have one in my yard and it is 5.00 a month. Not sure what kind it is though, it was installed by utility company for previous owners.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just looked up typical wattage on them and it looks like most of them are around 100 to 175 watts; really not too awful. I'm sure it saved you a few bucks, but it definitely wouldn't cut your bill in half.

I've got this stupid coffee maker (that is being replaced as soon as UPS gets here today :cheer4: ) It's a Bunn and has one of those hot water tanks on it. You're supposed to leave the darn thing on indefinitely to keep the water in the tank hot at all times, so you can have a pot of coffee in 3 minutes when you pour cold water in. It displaces the hot water and the cycle continues....Anyway, I just turn it on for 15 minutes before I want coffee rather than leave it on 24/7. The two times I've accidentally left it on for a full week, our electric bill went up by about $15 :fuming: I took out manual and low and behold, the stupid thing says 800W !! So, other than me ranting about this POS... I'm just saying, your sodium vapor light probably only partially contributed, but I bet your A/C had more to do with it. From what my family in Pontiac and Alpena said, it was frickin' hot in MI this year.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My highest A/C bill was $30. So assuming no A/C my highest elec bill for the summer would have been $91. Still a far cry from the current bill of $53.
Ah, I missed that post. Well....I did see bulbs as high as 400W, any idea what yours is?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Holy Cow Russ!! I am shocked over your utility bill!! I would love, love, love to pay that bill as opposed to my own.

That is a huge difference from not having that light on. I would for sure replace it with something else for when you do need some light out there.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well I just calculated out what my stupid coffee maker did to me when it was on 24/7 for approx. 7 days.

800W = .8Kwh

24 hrs X 7 days = 168 hrs....so, 168X.8 = 134.4Kwh @ 11.5c/Kwh is $15.45

That's about what my bill went up by, so that makes complete sense to me. But man, even if your bulb was 400W, considering it was on maybe, what, 10 hrs a day? (I confess I don't really know how they work)...it still just doesn't add up to your bill being that much lower. Providing I'm calculating this all correctly anyway....I'm no electrician :D

On the other hand....at least we're trying to figure out why its LOWER instead of the other way around. Yay for lower electric bills! lol...

Reactions: Russ

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Holy Cow Russ!! I am shocked over your utility bill!! I would love, love, love to pay that bill as opposed to my own.

That is a huge difference from not having that light on. I would for sure replace it with something else for when you do need some light out there.
That bill is one of the MAIN reason we opted to stay in our small house years ago when everyone around us was buying the McMansions that were being built. We could have afforded a much bigger house, albiet no property, but niether of us likes to clean what we have.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I just calculated out what my stupid coffee maker did to me when it was on 24/7 for approx. 7 days.

800W = .8Kwh

24 hrs X 7 days = 168 hrs....so, 168X.8 = 134.4Kwh @ 11.5c/Kwh is $15.45

That's about what my bill went up by, so that makes complete sense to me. But man, even if your bulb was 400W, considering it was on maybe, what, 10 hrs a day? (I confess I don't really know how they work)...it still just doesn't add up to your bill being that much lower. Providing I'm calculating this all correctly anyway....I'm no electrician :D

On the other hand....at least we're trying to figure out why its LOWER instead of the other way around. Yay for lower electric bills! lol...
Maybe there are other things I'm not thinking of. It's all about to change when I start the hot tub back up. :D

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
No,we don't run any security light because of doggy #1,2, and 3.
Also apparently all the new neighbors are afraid of the dark. My yard is lit up like chevy chase xmas.
I can't believe that bill. My bill is $161. DTE and $160. consumer E on the payment plan. Settlement month Nov. Oh, and our furnace is only 60% efficient. No hot tub but a cube and upright enery eff. freezers.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't believe that bill. My bill is $161. DTE and $160. consumer E on the payment plan. Settlement month Nov. Oh, and our furnace is only 60% efficient. No hot tub but a cube and upright enery eff. freezers.
Our house is only 1400+sq ft. and we do have a 90% efficiency furnace.

Here are my bills for the last 18 months. The date is when the bill was paid.

Sep 27, 2010 $70.21
Sep 7, 2010 $114.75
Aug 4, 2010 $121.46
Jul 2, 2010 $113.00
Jun 4, 2010 $131.53
May 7, 2010 $133.65
Apr 1, 2010 $121.09
Mar 5, 2010 $134.53
Feb 8, 2010 $147.21
Jan 4, 2010 $248.17 We redid the garage this month. Had to have elec heaters. :(
Dec 2, 2009 $103.49
Nov 3, 2009 $69.90
Sep 21, 2009 $93.09
Sep 8, 2009 $100.99
Aug 5, 2009 $110.72
Jul 6, 2009 $114.68
Jun 4, 2009 $72.56
May 5, 2009 $129.21

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
ok,so my house is 2200.sq. feet plus bsmt. w/ 2 more people for $1400. more per year.
3531./2200 sq. ft.=1.605 mine
2130.24/1400 sq. ft.=152.00 yours
So in rough approx. our bills are quite similar esp. incl. TEENS who are plugged in endlessly. I do have Wallside windows and plastic but this suprises me. No-wrong. I just realized I was doing 12 months for me and 18 mo. for you.lol Now that makes more sense. Definatley. Esp. since DH works in the bsmt. when not traveling.

So you need to go solar and i need a new furnace and to kick the kids out.lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.