Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted all our seeds two weekends ago. I planted several types of peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli and a few flowers. I was super excited that two tomatoes, one zucchini and all the broccoli has sprouted! We moved during last summer and lost most of our garden due to moving so I am so excited about this years garden. It's been a rough winter since we didn't have all the canning like we normally do. Come on spring I am so ready for you!

Jenny

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I really want to get my seeds started too; but if I start them this early I have a problem with them getting too leggy; not enough light. How do you get enough light for your plants at this time of year. I see you live in a cold state too!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have 50 tomato seedlings coming up. Can't wait to get them in the ground.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pam- I have never had the problem of them become leggy. So I am not really sure what does that. We try to always start or seeds in the first weekend of Feb. every year. In our house our kitchen has one full wall of windows and we have a 3 season porch area. I have large window seals in both rooms. I just line the plants around the window seal and the others are on a shelf right next to the window seal. When its sunny we do take the plants out and bring them in when the sun goes down.

Labontet- Wow 50 tomatoes! That's amazing! Nothing like going out and picking a fresh tomato.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been sowing since early January, but here in Wisconsin most get winter sown - i.e., in transparent or translucent containers (e.g., old soda bottles) then put outside or on the open porch.

I do keep some indoors under grow lights - such as coleus, impatiens, a few others that either come up very tiny and/or grow very slowly.

I still have lisianthus seedlings I planted a year ago, they'll be ready to go into the garden to bloom this summer. They grow SUPER slowly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put out a tomato plant and some strawberries. I read somewhere about planting strawberries in a metal collander. I'll let you know how that goes.

I also have okra, jalapeno, sugar snap peas, potatoes, onions and bell peppers to put out. This will be my first gardening experience but I'm determined we will start now down the road to self sufficiency. We already have hens, ducks and I ordered some guineas today.

Suzanne

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gardening and/or poultry farming is a good move for frugal people, particularly this year as food prices are rising and predicted to continue rising. Watch for repeats of the food riots we saw around the world 2 or 3 years ago.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I've really been pushing off the idea of small livestock, but I'm thinking that maybe we will reconsider the timeline after last nights news cast. I know this year our garden will be much bigger and our dehydrator will be getting a workout.

I'm thinking I just may try to start some seeds on our window sill this year. Maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have never started seeds but going to give it a try this year. Do i plant them the depth it says on the package? I had read that you just put the seeds on top the soil and water? Help!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Oh..........I am soooooooo jealous.

Of ----1. your efficiency........and 2. the time you can plant.

If I planted now I would have root bound, leggy plants by the time it came time to plant them outside. Or........I would have to re-pot them two to three times b/4 hardening off and planting outside.

My mouth is WATERING for a FRESH tomato.........I do NOT buy that crap in the store......but still have some that I canned...:tay:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have never started seeds but going to give it a try this year. Do i plant them the depth it says on the package? I had read that you just put the seeds on top the soil and water? Help!
There is lots of info online.............

I am guessing (without seeing the packets) that the seed info on the packet is for outside planting.

For inside--------for me.........I just 'barely' cover them with some soil in a small pot. I mist them.........don't even use a water bottle.......just keep the soil 'moist' ...........not dripping wet. I will use some plastic wrap over the pot if we are cold.......just to keep them warmer. I have the heating mat that goes under the pots........sometimes I use it...........sometimes I don't.

If you find a " flat food warming tray" at the thrift shop.......with a temp setting.........it will work the same way. Keep it on low.......but you REALLY have to watch for/and guard against the soil to dry out with ANY heat used.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i planted peppers. waiting for them to sprout. its been about 11 days already and nothings showing

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm getting ready to start my seeds. Not entirely sure what all I am growing this year. Probably about 1-2 dozen heirloom tomatoes, multiple peppers (bell, jalapeno, banana), leeks, onions, and a few other plants.

Will be growing some annual and perennial flowers this year as well.

Will also be direct sowing in the future: salad greens, radishes, beans, carrots, parsley, basil, kohlrabi, and whatever else I have.

I have a LARGE stock of seeds. Gave away about 100 packs last year and you can barely tell. I really need to start "spending down" what I have instead of buying more (and yet, I always end up buying more anyway, especially when I find 10/$1 deals.).

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
i planted peppers. waiting for them to sprout. its been about 11 days already and nothings showing
You probably planted outside....right?

I can give you a recipe I use for inside sprouting to try.........it is shampoo, instant tea and water..........have to check the recipe for amts. I does help seeds sprout faster.......not sure about outside.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've found peppers to be finicky in comparison to their tomato cousins. Eggplants (another cousin in the nightshade family) are somewhere in between the two in terms of being particular about conditions for germinating, growing, and producing fruit.

freebs - as far as sowing seeds, the seed packet should give adequate directions for depth, light, and moisture requirements. In general, plant the seeds 2 or 3 times deeper than their size. I make indentations with my fingers, drop a seed or two into each crater, sprinkle potting mix on top, press down to bring the soil into contact with the seeds. Tiny seeds are usually sprinkled on top of the potting medium and pressed into it (not covered at all). A few seeds require light to germinate (such as impatiens) so those are treated the same way.

I usually bottom-water to ensure the containers don't dry out. Buy a few plastic gardening flats without holes, make sure your sowing containers have drainage holes in the bottom, set the containers in the flat, pour water in the flat, let the soil absorb the water through the drainage holes. Osmosis takes care of the rest. If you don't want to spend the money on flats, old aluminum pie tins work, or any plastic container without holes you can find, such as used for some produce, deli, or frozen food products in the market. Reuse then recycle!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.