Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have severel businesses I work out of my home and i love it.

Recently I got bored after about 8 months and took a temp job from my old firm for about 8 to 12 weeks to help them out. I am on my second week and I didnt realize how good I had it at home! I am sitting there making good money working on computers at a bank thinking about all the money I could be making at home!!

I cant wait till this time is up and I can return home - I will never complain about being self employed again!!!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Dh and I have owned our painting company for 20 years. We love it. We can plan trips and time off. We love being together and even when work is nuts we enjoy the time together. We always joke thats why we got married "to be together" so why be apart for 8 to 10 hours every day? Not to mention our type of painting (commercial resturants) takes us all over the country. We love the travel.
Unfortunatly in hard times like this jobs are alittle more spaced out so we're home more. But that gives us a chance to garden and quilt. Things we also enjoy.
But it takes a special type of person to be able to stick to a work schedule when theres no higher authority to answer to. We just remember no work no eat. lol
Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Yep, I feel the same way, I will never gripe about being self employed from my home. sometimes you have to step out of you comfort zone, to see how good you have it!

Hopefully the next few weeks go fast for you!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully the next few weeks go fast for you!
Problem is - people who have a single job to do have to do so little. You know what I mean - when you are SE you wear many hats. At the temp job I only do one job and I am done with my whole days work ebfore noon! Then I sit and stare at the walls. I have developed such a fast paced work style that I feel like I am working in slow motion.

They are so impressed they are already talking about hiring me full time - as if!!! :screwy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
lvngwell, what type of work do you do in your home? I'm looking for ideas...I have a few, but I would love to talk to someone who is actually doing it... :sun:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have been working from home for over 10 years. The first couple of years I was an Administrative Assistant for a dotcom out of California. My boss was in Galveston Texas, I was in Houston Texas and my boss's employees were all over the U. S.

Then I got laid off and my mom got sick. Hubby and I moved in with my mom so I could care for her. I started selling eBay and after a year opened an eBay store.

Little did I know that I was in training all these years with my previous jobs to work for myself - all aspects of accounting, inventory control, purchasing, shipping, etc. So starting and running my own business has been a breeze. Finding and staying stocked on inventory to sell has been the hardest part.

Mom died in April 2007 and we bought our house in August 2007. I still sell on eBay, but last year I branched out and started selling on Amazon and my own website. I have plenty of inventory to keep me going for another year and it is all paid for. I am saving to buy more because it is a discontinued line and there is only ONE liquidator with any quantity left. No one else has found him, but it could happen!

I also do odd jobs, errands, or whatever for friends and family for CASH! Working from home allows me to pretty much do what I want and when I want. I have been considering getting a part-time job because I have my online sales pretty streamlined and I have extra time.

The part-time job proceeds would be used to pay off the balance on two credit cards (less than $1,500 total) and my hospital bill (less than $900) for my appendectomy last April, continue to build my stockpile, EF, IRA, etc. I am making a major dent in the bills and will have them paid off by the end of the year at the rate I am going now.

I want to buy a Harley, but I want to be able to pay cash or at least put down a MAJOR downpayment and pay off quickly. Hubby has a Harley and we are working hard to pay it off. We have already paid off all his credit cards.

One of my brother's is in the process of getting a mortgage to buy mom's house. The proceeds will be split 4 ways (me and 3 brothers). That money will be invested. I used the majority of the first $10,000 I got from mom's estate to pay off bills and some went into savings and IRA.

Mary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts