·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we started getting too many eggs the wife tried to sell them at work for:

$2.50 dozen.. no takers

$2.00 dozen.. no takers

$1.50 dozen.. no takers :confused:

So when a new chemist started here at my work, I gave her a dozen for free.

HOOKED! Starting this week, I will sell her all the eggs I can get for $1.00 dozen. She will take some, her brother and her mother will all take some. I know I'm probably not making money, but at least I'm getting something to pay for food.

·
27,948 Posts
Wow what's wrong with your wifes co-workers? Maybe they are freaked out that the eggs are too fresh. How goofy. I wish you lived near me, I'd definately go for a doz at $1.50. Your co-worker & her family are getting a great deal.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I think a $1 a doz is what individuals sell their eggs person to person for here.

Just curious how many chickens do you have? How many eggs to you get? Do you get them daily?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have 15 hens, 2 roosters. Right now we are getting 5-7 eggs /day and in the peak of fall we were getting 11-15 per day.

I really didn't think she would sell many at 2.00 per dozen but I thought she would at least get $1.50.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Wow Russ, I am surprised that your wife can't sell them for more. Here farm fresh eggs sell for $3 a dozen!

·
Registered
326 Posts
When I was a kid I sold eggs, too. My dad sold some to a guy that he worked with, and I was soo-o-o-o excited. Imagine how gobsmacked I was that he came back and asked what was wrong with the eggs! I said "nothing-why do you think that?" He said that he and wife thought they were "too yellow"! lol

After we told him that farm fresh eggs are supposed to look almost orange, he tried eating them. After tasting the difference in store-bought flavor, he was my customer for years!

People are just too removed from the farm to have any knowledge of what real food is supposed to look and taste like. They probably are thinking why pay more than the store for eggs-not realizing what a difference there is between the two products.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Wow at those prices I would be getting in line as well. One farm I wanted to get from is now up to 4.85 a dozen and they supplement with feed I don't want . I would be like my friend and buy them all she buys 30 dozen at a time....lol

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I have a friend who sells his locally and has no problem getting $4 a dozen.
Yes agree Joseph though I have found someone for a good price. Russ maybe you should put an ad on craigslist .

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the ideas, however, my wife was giving them away and I'm happy to get a buck. I'm not looking to make money, just trying to recover some.

And besides, if I started making money, my wife would get more chickens! :thud:

·
19,119 Posts
I agree that most eople today do not know the difference between fresh and store bought eggs - sad huh? Bet you'll be getting more in the future as people get educated - or at least their taste buds do!!

·
2,688 Posts
We have had chickens 2 yrs this spring. Started with chicks so had to wait till they got old enough to lay. At first we gave away a LOT of eggs. Family, friends, the neighbors. Last summer I was able to set up at a farmer's market with the cousin and we got $ 3 a dozen for our eggs. Another market, gets $ 4 a dz but I am not driving 45 minutes one way to set up there. I finally found a small country store that will give me $ 1.50 a dz. He takes 4 dz at a time, but not as often as I would like him to. In January this year, one of the neighbors decided to start buying eggs from me. I told her $ 1.50 a dz. She pays me $ 5 for 3 dz. Works for me :)
I also have a good buyer who is now buying 20 dz ( each dz $ 1.50 ) from me about once a month. He has 60 chickens but they seem to have been on strike all winter, and he did not want to lose his customer base. It was a real fluke I met him in the first place. Was standing behind him in line at a store, and he was having a bad day.
I hope to sell some at the farmer's market again this coming season, but I won't short my current customers. I need them for year round. Price of feed is just plain awful.
I plan on hatching some chicks soon from our own eggs....that will take some egg number out that could have been sold. But chicks are worth more than eggs. Got to cover feed costs somehow.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
All eggs have to be inspected by the Food and Inspection Branch of the Government.

There was a big stink last week about not inspected eggs being sold in Toronto. Apparently most produce sold from a private farm has to be inspected. Soon this will probably include everything, unless there is a public backlash.

Big brother is very concerned about our health. There were articles about looking for feces and feathers on eggs. How times have changed. I don't ever remember washing the eggs on the farm. We collected them and cooked, and sometimes even got the odd rotten one. Mind you, seldom were the eggs soiled or dirty.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.