Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A trooper just left my house wondering if I heard or saw something suspicious last night. Seems like some low life scumballs decided to knock over about 20 gravemarkers and set something on fire in the cemetary that is right next door to the end of my driveway. This makes me so angry! My kids are going to keep their ears open and you can bet these losers will be turned in (somebody will start talking (bragging). I hope when caught they are punished severely and don't just get the token slap on the wrist.:angry:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Darlene,
I am continually shocked at some people's behavior. It is so stupid. To destroy a graveyard is just plain dumb, what fun could there be in that. Earlier this week we found our mail box destroyed. I checked down the road and there were others that had been beat to pieces as well. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. I believe that many people, including kids, are at the point that they have no regard for life or property. Shameful!!!!

pat

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
That's so terrible! I sure do hope they find the ones who did this...Some people just don't know what to do in their free time...

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
That is wrong. Why can't they just let them rest in peace? What good comes of destroying their markers?? They need to be punished and I think they should have to clean that cemetery every week for every marker they turned over.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
It would make me sick if someone did that to my son's headstone. When we lived in NC, we lived across the road from a historial slave cemetary. All of the headstones were from the 1800's. A bunch of creeps went in there and broke nearly every stone. It was sickening. It's worse than stealing flowers off a grave and they cost so very much. I believe these people will be punished but not by man.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Totally uncalled for behavior!! :grrr:

I think a lot of kids today don't "think" before they act! Hopefully when they catch them the punishment will fit the crime!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
People have done that here too :mad:

It makes me want to cry, it is SO low to do something like that. Mindless vandleism (sp?) is bad enough anyway but to wreck somebodys grave when one it is so expensive and even worse there are people who only have memories of that loved one is so hurtful and evil. I don't really even have words for it, it makes me want to cry just 'thinking' about it!

I don't know what to say even - This is very sad.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
This is what happens when parents don't know or care about where their children are or what they are up to..... What will they do next ????????

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
:clap: Well said Lori! :clap:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
makes me mad to hear that the graves were vandalized. I can't imagine what got into those kids heads, i hope they are punished for it. Irresponsible, mean spirited, idiotic thing to do. Maybe the parents will be held accountable too.

:(

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The State Trooper was going all over town taking down info from people. Glad to see they are taking this very seriously. I don't mean to sound flip it's just sometimes It seems my version of what I think is a crime worth punishing isn't the same as others. Too many people are getting away with crimes and it seems like it's always someone elses fault. Am I making any sense?

We drove by the cemetary on the way to a ball game & you could see the toppled broken markers as we drove by. :cry:

Thanks for your strong views on this subject. :hugz:

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Darlene, in my eyes this is a crime! If they don't get punished for this, what's next? Throwing rocks at cars causing an accident and possibly hurting someone or worse killing them?

This has to be stopped NOW!!

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
This IS a crime. Cemetaries are memorials, to be preserved, not just cement slabs for decoration. A local town had an old, old cemetary destroyed like that, and no records of which stone belonged where in the cemetary. So they built a wall with all the headstones and made a large religious statue in the middle of the area where the stones should be standing.

You'll all think I'm weird, but I've always loved cemetaries. In college I did a whole series of paintings in one. Now I like to walk in them and do genealogy stuff.

And on the topic of preserving cemetaries... If anyone's interested, there's a great site where you can record cemetaries, make online memorials, post cemetary pictures, etc for free. I've transcribed a lot of graves as I walk through cemetaries, and once a woman emailed me and was she was so happy I'd transcribed her grandfather's grave to the site, and she lives out of state.... now she has a way to "visit" the grave. It's
www.findagrave.com
If you visit, you want the right-hand side of the main screen (for non-famous people) to find your local cemetary.
You can see the personal memorials I've created for family members here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSmpid=46543448&

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amy,
I don't think you're wierd. Cemetaries are usually very beautiful places. I love to walk through the one next to us and look at the markers and learn and wonder about these people & their families. It's right along the creek with beautiful old trees and the entrance has a gorgeous scrollwork scene done in iron. People think it's strange that I live near a cemetary. You couldn't ask for better neighbors. :) I don't think there is anything gross or eerie about it.

Thanks for the links to that site. Very interesting and how nice to be able to "visit" like that. Good for you in helping give someone such a meaningful piicture.:heartsm:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Darlene, what wretched children to do something like that. I hope that they catch them soon and that they are punished appropriately for the crime.

Amy, that is such a nice thing that you do to place the online memorials and to transcribe the graves. It is so thoughtful of you. I agree that cemetaries are peaceful places, there are some really old ones near my town that are out in the country near where old towns were in the past. I love to go walk around and read the inscriptions. There are even so stones that go as far back as the civil war, and lots from WW 1. It makes me sad to think that most do not have anyone to take care of the graves anymore, I try to make sure that the grass is not covering the stones and to pull the weeds off of the older graves when I am there, especially the children's. It is so sad to see a child or baby's little grave with no one tending to it anymore, most of the ones in the little cemataries near here are so old that the familes have all died or long moved away and no comes to them much any more:( . I just had a thought, I am going to take DD and go out to one and we are going to "adopt" 2 children's or babies graves and we are going to take care of them and make sure that there are flowers for holidays and that someone visits them regularly. I think it will make us both feel good.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Katybird said:
I just had a thought, I am going to take DD and go out to one and we are going to "adopt" 2 children's or babies graves and we are going to take care of them and make sure that there are flowers for holidays and that someone visits them regularly. I think it will make us both feel good.
That is a wonderful idea Kathy! It's so nice to see positive things coming from a thread like this. :heartsm:

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Kathy,
What a great idea! You could also transcribe those graves to the Find A Grave site if you wanted to-- maybe some far-away family members would find them online. It bothers me to see weeds on the headstones, too. Your idea is neat... maybe I'll borrow it myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts