Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For September my challenge will be to make some things from the fresh fruits.

I made a peach cobbler yesterday. I am making a peach crisp tomorrow.

I see some apple dumblings and pies in my near future.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Forgot about the challenge....I attempted Chinese coconut buns. I need to tweak a few things but will make these again :) Hehehe - I didn't close the buns properly so a lot of the 'juices' flowed out.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Libby, I've never heard of Chinese coconut buns. Looks good.

I'm sure I will bake something this month. Will have to see.

Reactions: Libby

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Libby, They still look Yummy!!! I'd eat them, Yum!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Anyone got tips for me on how to 'close' buns? I tried pinching the dough, folding it over then pinching....and it sill oozed out. The inside isn't supposed to be juicy but there's some moisture. The dough kept snapping back and not 'folding' or 'sealing' properly for me and the fold was on the bottom on the tray.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Libby, did you moisten the dough edges with water before you pinched the dough together?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I made a peach pie.

Turned out decent........not fantastic, but very edible. Didn't take pics.....it was all I could do to wait until it cooled to sample. :laugh: Have shared some of it with a friend's dh. (she can't eat sugar.......but he can!!)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
We will be going to the Apple Orchard this weekend I think...Will have tons of apples to make things with....I should start researching some recipes now....I love homemade pies, applesauce, apple crisp....but need some new ideas....something yummy but different...but definitely something with apples this month....LOL

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I made banana bread yesterday. Not very original and not with 'fall' fruits, but it was good none the less.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I made banana bread too used up my very ripe bananas it it so yummy! Last week I made zuccini bread still have another zuccini left.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I love Banana Bread! Try adding chocolate chips to it next time....it's to die for! LOL
I have a banana chocolate chip muffin recipe, I do love it. I am out of chocolate chips at the moment. Going to have to put those on my list!

·
Registered
904 Posts
so.....I hear a lot of this good Banana Bread but see no recipes for it?

Would everyone be so kind as to share? Every time I make it, its dry and tasteless.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
so.....I hear a lot of this good Banana Bread but see no recipes for it?

Would everyone be so kind as to share? Every time I make it, its dry and tasteless.
I didn't see this last night or else I would have posted it. I will when I get home tonight. Actually, my recipe is from the Betty Crocker cookbook. It's an old one, no buttermilk. It's my favorite, I've tried others, but always go back to that one.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a good banana bread recipe. I do agree with Kim. I really like the one in the Old Betty Crocker cookbook. We make the banana nut muffins all the time.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup calorie-free sweetener
2 tablespoons margarine, melted
4 medium-sized very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flours and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine sweetener and next 3 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Pour batter into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tuesday I will be making cupcakes for my daughters 18th birthday. She will give them to her the cross country team on Wednesday afte the meet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts