Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our toilet has started to back up every few days.I plunge it which doesn't seem to do much.If we leave it for a few hours or overnight,it will flush,but then a few more flushes and it backs up again.Does this sound like the septic is full?

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I read that if you flush the toilet and the water backs up into the shower or if you drain the tub and the water gurgles inthe toilet then the spectic is full. Is it doing that?

Do you have a basement?.... Is it possible that the line from the toilet is partially frozen?

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
When was the last time you had it emptied? We do ours every 2 years and maybe that's overkill but we've never had an issue.

That said, we know people who have never had theirs emptied.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The basement is warm,so cant freeze.The tank was pumped about 5 years ago.I was told that the tank might be full but the water is still getting through,but slowly.Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
How many people in your household? And do you use thick fancy toilet paper? It can fill up quickly with a large family and a lot of paper.

Is this toilet at the lowest point in the house? When your septic backs up it should be overflowing somewhere low, like into your washing machine if it's in the basement. If it's an upstairs toilet and nothing is overflowing in the basement, I would be more inclined to think there is a partial blockage closer to the toilet in question, rather than a full tank.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sounds like there may be a blocked line since it goes down after a while. It may stopped up near the baffle. When it gets that bad about the only thing you can do is dig it up and snake it out. You'll probably need a professional to come in and do that and if you do I'd go ahead and have it pumped out at the same time.

We've had enough septic problems to last a life time but we finally got them all fixed after replacing all the field line and adding another 100 feet plus replacing all the lines from the house to the septic.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Sounds like a partial plug somewhere. Do you use Charmin bath tissue? If you do, DON'T! It is THE worst for septics.

Reactions: klean163

·
Registered
708 Posts
we have this happen occasionally....

All we have to do is go lift the cover off the septic and break up the stuff on the top...for some reason it plugs right there...I find everything in the top like socks(i am thinking the wash machine eats these...) and it gets this hard crusty stuff on the top....this happened around 7 years ago and my dad was around at the time and he was so awesome...he figured it out for me and it happened last year but my dad has recently passed in the last couple of years but he would have been proud of me...I went out and pulled the top off and did the same thing he did and voila...we were all fixed....as for pumping of the septic system...I must have a good one because we haven't done it for 15 years and not sure when it was done before we moved in....i am thinking this spring i should invest in getting it pumped though to avoid future problems....

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Sounds like you need your drain snaked.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Chowder - We called to have ours pumped a few years ago. The honeydippers said we didn't need it pumped and they pulled out some sort of plug that is put in the hole where the honeywater comes into the septic tank. That took care of it.

We're going to get ours pumped this year. It's been 7 years since we put it in and it is getting sluggish, too. We use bum-scraper single-ply tissue and we've not had much problems. It disintegrates quickly. We also do the septic bacteria additive several times a year. That helps a bit. It doesn't hurt to get it pumped out every few years.

alotofgooddeals...you're brave!!!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
we get ours done every 2 yrs...the city sends us a notice. and, we do it! we also had a blockage issue a few yrs back...bad and lots of $$$$ later it was fixed. get it done and see if that helps first before you have more expensive issues.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sounds like a partial plug somewhere. Do you use Charmin bath tissue? If you do, DON'T! It is THE worst for septics.
Have also heard that Costco TP is really bad too.

Our toilet has started to back up every few days.I plunge it which doesn't seem to do much.If we leave it for a few hours or overnight,it will flush,but then a few more flushes and it backs up again.Does this sound like the septic is full?
What is the possibility of tree roots in the tank? (if this has happened often)

Arborvitae are NOTORIOUS for getting into septic tanks.........BTDT! Maples are another one that will find any crack, air space, ANYTHING and grow into the spot.........even basements! and don't forget to check what is growing at the neighbors........tree roots DO TRAVEL!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry... It gets backed up into the leach field & plugs up the works. Then it costs a ton of money to get that fixed.
I can vouch for this. The previous owners of this house never had the tank pumped until we were buying it. The pumpout crew reported that the tank was full, and that we needed to have the leach field inspected. Sure enough, the drainage pipes were clogged. We had to pay for the inspection, but the previous owner had to pay for snaking the drain lines.

We let it go for five years before we had it pumped, and with just the two of us living here, it was no problem, but we already have our next pumpout scheduled for four years.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
It sounds like it is blocked somewhere to me also. Do I live in the only area that forces you to get pumped every three years and send proof in to the healthy dept?
Here, I don't know quite when it started, couple years ago maybe...and don't know how they are doing their routes of inspecting, but they are supposedly doing that here now. A guy came into the business and I was talking to him while doing his paperwork and he said that is what he does...then maybe a year later another guy.

But it's not to get pumped it's inspecting the system itself. Betting they find something wrong with at least 50% of them and will need to be replaced or something equally as expensive. Reason being the biggest septic tank people are in the back pockets of the city ... win win situation for them. He said they are going house to house doing this and it would have to be done every 3 years I believe. I'm sure pumping every whatever will be a requirement also with a certificate which will have to be paid for which will go to the city.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks so much everyone for your help.It appears to be a blockage under the toilet.That and the bathtub which is tied into the same end of the pipe is all thats affected.The other sinks which are tied in further down the main pipe to the septic are all fine.I just hope the snake works.Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.