Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking the question, how often do FV set goals? Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly?

Maybe you set your financial goals 6 months-a year in advance? Maybe you set them monthly?

Do you set your personal goals daily? Or do you set goals weekly and break them down into daily chores?

This forum has made me begin to really think about goal-setting, and purposefully spending with financial goals and personal goals in mind.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
I'm anxious to read some of the responses to this question myself. I like to make lists, but I guess I've never been much of a 'goal' list maker. Not big goals anyway. Since I've been a member of FV that has changed somewhat. I have some goals, and mostly they are monthly goals. Such as grocery budget for the month, how much I add to the EF for the month and how many days I try NOT to eat out in a month. I'm starting to think about bigger goals. I like having a list and getting to check things off. I work better that way.

·
Registered
709 Posts
At tax time, I go through my general budget and add up my net worth, which has been about 0 the last couple of years. Then I set up a new plan taking into account yearly raise and goal of paying down debt. I review it monthly as I pay bills. I'm not as disciplined as I wish I was with following the plan, but it does help to go over the numbers periodically.
For personal & career goals, I really think about it at New Year's, and then sit down and plot throughout the year. There's alot I'd like to accomplish, but realistically some things need to take precidence over others.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I have started making financial goals in January when I renew and review other New Year's Resolutions. I set up a plan for the year and I factor in as much as I can one year in advance. I take into account: estimated work bonus, tax return, and the two additional paychecks this year. I take inventory of my total debt and figure out a way to pay as much towards that as possible.

This year I began my EF- the goal is to reach $1,000 and maintain that in an EF by January 2009.

I mapped out a way to be debt free by May 2009. Each month I review how close I am to reaching my goals.

I have had a monthly budget for the last couple of years and I review this budget weekly to make sure I am on track during the month.

I also decided that I would really work on a stockpile this year, so stocking up when I find a good sale is something I have been working on this year and I am pleased with my progress up to this point with my HBA, Detergent, and non-perishable food, and Forever Stamp stockpile.

I would say I take inventory of where I am with my goals at the end of each week, end of each month, and then again at the end of the year. I feel accountable for my actions when I stay on top of my goals :)

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
i do all of the above
$$
we have generalized financial goal pay off debt, save more
but month to month i sit down and evaluate the whole picture: what are we currently saving for, what new things do we need to save for, how is the debt situation, what do we need
and every pay period i think about what needs to be done that period to reach the monthly goal efficiently

for personal goals i set them month to month and weekly, then i have daily todo 's to reach the weekly goals.

·
Registered
17,238 Posts
I'm asking the question, how often do FV set goals? Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly?

Maybe you set your financial goals 6 months-a year in advance? Maybe you set them monthly?

Do you set your personal goals daily? Or do you set goals weekly and break them down into daily chores?

I start by doing one big goals for the year list. This year it was a list of challenges (the Money Makeover thread). I was becoming discouraged that I wasn't able to meet all my goals last year...even though they were totally ridiculous (11 pages in all I believe!!!).

I pick certain areas to focus on each month. This month it's working on projects for sale, gifts and generally finishing things off.

Once a week DH and I review the daytimer and clarify who is doing what that week.

Every day I sit down in the evening and put things on a "to do" list. Otherwise I forget them. This includes stuff DH wants me to do for him.

I find the challenges more freeing than forcing myself to do a long list of goals. This way I pick up what I want to work on and finish it. So far this month I've knit 3 hats, finished one prayer shawl and am onto another. I've also got a quilt under construction and another nearly finished...just need binding. I'm solving a lot of health issues and am finally able to afford the proper equipment for my hobbies. This has all taken time to work on.

I've found it much easier to prioritize using the challenge system. It gives me freedom to meet my goals however I see fit. I could rip apart projects and knit them into something else, or make quilts smaller, or whatever. It allows for more spontaneity and creativity. My challenges aren't quite as specific as my goals lists were.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Jean

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once a week DH and I review the daytimer and clarify who is doing what that week.
We have started sitting down as a family with the calendar and planning our week that way, too. DS and DD have a lot of practices and games, and school/church activities. This helps us prioritize those things. Plus, we can plan the weekly menu, knowing what nights we need quick suppers and what nights we can cook. It's been working, so far!

·
Registered
10,556 Posts

This forum has made me begin to really think about goal-setting, and purposefully spending with financial goals and personal goals in mind.

Thanks for your input!
What I do is make a list of things to get done that week or night if its something specific. I have a small notebook in my purse and at the top and middle of the page I write down the days of the week. I list things that need to get done under specific days and then I have a general page for things that need to get done in general - decluttering or working on a small craft project. Once I do those things on the list they get checked off and I feel like I've accomplished something.

As for financial goals...they're all in my head. My current and biggest goal is to stay debt free - I'm only human and life does happen so debt will lurk every now and then. My main goal is to make it go away and try to save up ahead of time for things that I will need and may want and try to pay cash for it.

Other then that, I take things one day at at time. *knocks on wood* So far so good :thumb:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I guess the easiest way to explain is:

Yearly:
I make a list of all paydays and the closest bill date to those paydays and plan which bill gets paid when. Since I have been doing this for years, it only changes if a drastic change occurs or a windfall presents itself.

The 2 extra paydays are for 1. Taxes and 2. Christmas. These change every year as we are paid bi-weekly. The extra paycheck doesn't always fall in the most obvious place so it takes planning.

This year we got a small refund. Since we bought and moved into our own home in Nov. , most spare money goes toward improving the property. After buying all the curtains and other things for the inside, we bought all the outdoor equipment that we had to sell/give away when we moved to an apartment and had no storage. That included weed eater, tools for yard upkeep ... rakes, shovel, hoses, tree borders, potting soil, plants etc.

Youngest dd had a baby in May and we spent most of the rebate running back and forth to NM. Not what I had planned but good anyway.

Monthly

bills are basically set ... All utilities are on level pay so they are 60.00per month (gas and electric) I make set payments on the two remaining charges (see sig for how much I pay extra per month). Ditto on house payment (taxes and ins are in the payment).
We have a set amount of gas, allowance, and ciggie money for dh (I get to take my equal amount for spending money since I quit burning money .. I mean smoking 14 yrs ago).

The overtime is supposed to go to savings but it never does .. he wants this or that xbox game (60.00 a shot) or we need tools or paint or .... Or I want to eat out.

If he loses the overtime, life would get a lot more strict and there are several places we could cut back .. like cable, eating out etc. The extra I pay on the charge payments could go down to minimums if needed.

I have a closet full of food and cash to last for a while if needed.

When I received my insurance settlement, I paid off two charge accounts, all the "old" balances on the utilities so we could start from 0, bought dh a new hdtv (his wants are sooo expensive). I took an equal share and have bought things for me as well (6 month gym membership, a trip or two). Mostly though it paid off debt.

I usually make plans ahead but it doesn't always work out the way I plan it. But it is in a good place for now.

Reactions: MomK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.