Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem off to some, but we don't have our kids exchange Christmas gifts. I think Christmas is for the immediate family exchanging gifts, and spending good times and cheer with immediate and extended family.

I'm looking to the future. My kids each have 3 siblings. If each of them have 2 kids, they are looking at 8 child gifts plus 7 adult gifts on just one side of the family, not even starting with the spouses family. Even with a price limit, it would get expensive fast, adding stress to what s hould be about spending time with each other.

I want them to want to spend time with each other, to do games, do activities and love and visit each other.

I want them to never feel obligated to buy gifts for their siblings and their kids at what proves to be a very expensive time of year. I hope to get them exchanging small but meaningful birthday gifts instead.

I don't like getting gifts for my siblings and IL's as they are never appreciated, we're looked down on because we set a lower budget. I don't want to have that for my kids. I think setting up card tables, watching family movies, going tobagganning or skating will set the mood for the holidays better than any gift will.

Thanks what I want for Christmases future.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I think that's a great goal to work for. Our kids don't exchange gifts with each other either. The older ones each have their own families and the younger ones have never done it. We play games, work on puzzles and read together. I think it's the best way for our family.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My kids are still young (16 and 11). Right now they do exchange gifts that they buy with their own money. When they were younger they did not exchange gifts but now they choose to and they enjoy it. Who knows what they will choose to do when they are adults. I figure it's up to them to decide.

My sisters and I do not exchange gifts. We did when we were younger but as we got older and started having children we decided to limit gift giving to just the kids. We set a price limit and an age limit. We decided that we would stop buying gifts for the kids once they turned 16.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Why not teach them to be gracious about giving and recieving and let them decide later on whether or not they wish to exchange with their siblings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts