Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our wonderful cat has taken to not covering up her droppings in the kitty litter box. She will cover her urine with no problem, but will not cover her "droppings". It drives me crazy to come out to the kitchen and have a smell!!!

Nothing has changed, not her kitty litter or her food. The kitty litter box is in the same place as always.

Help - any suggestions?

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I had this problem with my kitty once, so we had to get one of those covers for the litter box that have the deodorizing filter. She still won't cover her droppings, but the smell is no longer an issue.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I have a couple who do this too CJ, although my litter boxes all have hoods and with 10 cats it is hard to say which ones are doing it. :loop:

My guess is she is just lazy. This is your new kitten right?? If it is a kitten you can change it's habits. Whenever you notice that she hasn't covered it up, pick her up, put her in the litter box, take her paw and help her cover it up. Cats are pretty smart, you shouldn't have to do this more than a few times before she takes the hint. I had to show my new little ones how to scratch in the litter and they are better at covering up than the big kitties! :D

Don't forget to wash your hands well after this or anytime you handle cat litter.

Good luck, I hope this works for you! :)

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Oh, I forgot I also use Tidy Cat or Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer every time I clean the litter boxes. I helps neutralize and keep the odors down.

Tidy Cat comes in a round can and A&H comes in a tall box. You will find them right next to the litter in just about any store. I buy whichever one I have a coupon for.

Here is a pic of a hooded litter box. Not all cats like them, but mine do as they have all been brought up with them. All my cats were kittens when I brought them in.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diana, no not a new cat, this is the cat that we've had for almost 5 years and we have a covered litter box like the picture you've shown.

I had not thought of her being lazy. Maybe she just doesn't like the smelling of her droppings. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts