Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted something like this...

http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Allover_Leather_Shag_Area_Rug/530/

only with more colors. this one is 40 or so bucks. So I decided to try at making my own with fabric from my stash, cotton.

Here's what i came up with. Pretty close. Will look more shaggy i bet after a wash, but for now it's done. It's about 3x2 and about 2'' thick :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Looks great , be careful with the wash it will tangle up and make a nest of thread if you over do it. I had one and it was great until then third wash!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking i could wash it on gentle in a pillow case. dry on the line... what do you think?

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I totally love it and the colors are awesome, I think if you wash it put it in the pillow case or something then line dry for sure, will make it last longer. :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I think that will work, I wish I had thought of a pillow case. I guess I should have asked you first:bowing:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
ok.. maybe I missed a creativity gene or something... HOW do you make thiis rug?? It would be PERFECT in DD's room!!!!!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
LOL, i was going to ask the same thing. i love it!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try to describe it as best as I can...

Cut your desired fabrics into strips of 4 inches. Take three layers of coordinating and accent fabrics and layer them per your taste...all one color, mixed colors, however. Sew down the lenghthwise middle of them to sandwich the layers together. Set aside and do this to all your fabric for this part of the project.

Take these sewn strips to your ironing board and irin them in half, using your sewn line as your guide. Set aside as you will need them soon.

Choose a strong, heavy fabric for your backing. I chose a blueish lightweight denim. I used pencil to draw guidelines for sewing on the strips at 1" apart on the backing fabric.
Pin one strip along the penciled line centering the sewn line of the strip along the pencil line on the backing. sew along the line, fold it over out of the way and pin on the next strip, continue this manner till all strips are sewn on.

trim all strips as desired, i clipped them in 1/2 to 1'' increments to get the shagginess i have. I wouldn't go much below 1/2 inch or it'll probably descinegrate the first wash.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
thanks so much! i will give it a try( maybe.lol)

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
nice job on the rug missy!!! WTG.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
That is so super cute Missy! I love the rag look for rugs and quilts, it is so cute. Be sure and wash that in a pillow case that is closed well, if not all the thread and lint will end up in parts of your machine that you don't want it to be and can ruin your motor or pump, that is especially true should you decide to dry it in the dryer, the lint off of it will play havoc with your dryer. A friend of mine made a raggedy quilt and ruined her washer when she washed it :( .

·
Registered
758 Posts
You did an asome job on your rug. I love it. I want one. I'm going to see if I have enough scraps to make one. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Missy, I forgot, about how long does it take to make one of these rugs? TIA.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Oh my that's a lot of cutting!!

Great job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone, It was alot of fun. Not something I'd do right away though. my hands are tired out from all the snipping!

Missy, I forgot, about how long does it take to make one of these rugs? TIA.
Um I think I could have done it all start to finish in an afternoon. But because of the kids....and sheer laziness, this took about 2 weeks, lol.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think the colors are very pretty together. I was wondering if you could achieve a chenile look. I did something like this once with flannel and it came out all soft and looked like chenile. I was actually going to attempt a quilt...LOL never got past the first few blocks. I agree the thread would nest in your washer. Hope it works out for you, it's very pretty.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
WTG Missy, that came out great! :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts