Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is wanting a sewing machine for Christmas, has been for a couple of years now. I'm wanting my jeans patched before winter, so she'll get a sewing machine sooner.

She's borrowed a couple of machines over the years from friends, and has had difficulty getting them to work properly. So, what we are needing, is a simple and easy to use machine. It doesn't need a billion features, mainly just for learning, patching, and general repairs. If she could make a quilt/blanket or two, that would be ideal.

What machine would you recommend?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a Kenmore that I love! I don't use it as often as I probably should, but it's a fine machine and it works great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
How much do you want to spend? There is a huge difference in sewing machines depending on what you want to spend....

Does your wife know how to sew?

What kind of machines did she borrow that she had trouble with?

I could give you some opinions, but don't want you to think you have to spend more than you want.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
These past posts might help.............

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/sewing/128532-i-need-get-inexpensive-sewing-machine.html

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/sewing/122149-help-what-kind-sewing-machine.html

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/sewing/121353-there-between-sewing-machine.html

http://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/sewing/114551-sewing-machine-gal-who-has-no-idea-how-sew.html

You will probably find there are as many suggestions as there are people that sew.........depending on what they do with their machine.

I had a Singer FOR YEARS.........and loved it......was a great machine but then their 'reputation' dropped. JA's will have some good sales........I bought a little White........that does the basics.......and travels with it's own case.........good little machine for taking to classes........but NOT for sewing the multiple layers of heavier fabrics.

Hope you find what you want.............Let us know what you pick.........good luck!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea what constitutes an acceptable amount for a decent sewing machine. I'm frugal, but don't mind spending the money on something with quality that will last.

She has done some sewing, just a by-the-numbers quilt package and some patching/repairing of around-the-house clothes, and didn't do too bad of a job. She has some issues with bobbin-winding. The majority of the problems, I think, is caused by the chair-to-machine interface. Not only would getting her own machine that she can play around with be good, but it would also help remove her excuse that the machine is at fault.

I'm not sure I want to spend the $450 for the Kenmore, and it probably has far more options and features than she really needs. I'd like to start with something very basic, easy to use, but can still be used for several years. I don't know what the basic stitches are, but she would probably only use a few for the foreseeable future. Heck, we only use one setting on our dishwasher, and only two settings on the washer/dryer.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have had my singer for 30 years. It is simple to use and you can get one inexpensively. What about going into JoAnn and talking to them. They have an area in the store that only sells sewing machines. Talk to them and what about going to get a consumers report magazine out of the library. They will tell you prices and which ones are rated best.

Just found this at amazon. Seems simple enough and price is very reasonable. Still check out ratings in cr.
1. Singer 1507 8-Stitch Sewing Machine (Jul 10, 2007)
Buy new: $99.00 $79.99

22 new from $79.99

Get it by Wednesday, Oct 6 if you order in the next 17 hours and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
(33)Home, Garden & Pets: See all 1,079 items

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
You can get a very basic machine for $200, or less if it's on sale. Joann's Fabrics is currently selling a Singer model 3116 for $99 and another Singer (4411)for $149. Any local sewing machine shop should have comparable models. Shop someplace that offers a beginner users class with the purchase.

Brand name doesn't matter so much as the features she wants and how comfortable the machine is for her.

Rather than buy one and surprise her with it, I'd suggest doing something like making up a 'gift certificate' and then either take her shopping or let her go pick one out when you have time together.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Kenmore has some less expensive models than the $450 you mentioned and they go on sale quite often. I also had problems with different machines but found the kenmores to be wonderful...first machine I could actually sew on. My first cost less than $100 and worked perfectly. I've since upgraded to a computerized model and don't think I could live without it. So I'll always recommend Kenmore first.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You can get a basic Kenmore for under $100. When I wanted to learn to sew that is what my mother recommended and she has sewn for over 50 years and she has a Kenmore. If your wife isn't a talented sewer already all she really needs is to be able to sew a straight stitch; backstitch, backtack and zigzag and any basic machine has those. I've been using my Kenmore for about a year and a half. It was on sale, about $80. It has made curtains, basic quilts, pillows and a few clothing items. I even made a Capri sun purse though that did put some stress on it and I should probably take it in for adjustments.

I wouldn't bother going for the extra features/extra $$$100's unless I was a really good seamstress/quilter and then, I'd do a great deal of research and talk with people at local quilt shops, sewing teachers etc.

Stay away from the cheap Brothers at Walmart, I had one of those and never could get the tension right. At least with the Kenmore I can take it to Sears for repairs, though I didn't get an extended warranty and will have to pay if I do (and it might not be worth it on a $80 machine but they'll quote me up front so I'll know what I'm getting in to).

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Many times you can get wonderful machines on Craigslist. I was able to get Husqvarna Viking Sewing machine, as well as a couple of Kenmore's on there for my daughter and friend as well. I love my Husqvarna Viking , it is heavy duty, vintage but fantastic. I am now looking for a vintage antique Singer. Many people don't like to sew anymore, and give up theirs or family members but look now before the Holidays get too close. Put an ad up in wanted in your area. Also be willing to look in other areas outside your immediate on craigslist and be willing to drive a little. If they know you want it to sew , rather then like some to resell they will work with you to hold it until you can drive there. Hope this helps. I just hate to see anyone pay for one when so many are getting rid of them now. Be patient one will appear.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
"bottom of the line" janome new home

·
Registered
53 Posts
A friend of mine who sews quite a bit really likes her Singer Simple from Walmart. It's the Martha Stewart endorsed one...it's $89.88. If you're just doing basic stuff I think that would be a good machine -- it's intended to help you learn without overwhelming you with too many features.

If I was buying one, that's what I'd get. I inherited my Singer 5050 from my step-grandmother.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.