Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Okay, I have white walls [or I will within the next few days as soon as painting is done.]

I am doing a shabby chic decor for my livingroom [our walls here have to be white].

I really don't want wood picture frames and I'm sure that white frames on white walls just wouldn't work [obviously!]

So, my question is ... what color of frames do you think would go right in the room?

The only ideas I had were either to paint the frames either pink [light], light sage green or gold frames [the gold frames I don't mean painted but the ones you buy that way.]

What do you all think would look right?

Also if I were to paint them the pink or light green, I'd sure go over them a little with white paint [is this called white washing?]

I am so out of my element when it comes to this kind of thing [decorating.]

Anyways ... help! :lol:

Love,

Jen

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm not really sure what trend de jour "shabby chic" is, but with white walls I would go with wood (but you said no wood) or gold. Classic. I think pastel frames just look well....cheap and tacky. (no offense...everyone has different tastes)

·
Registered
787 Posts
what are the colors that are going to be in the room?
get some paint to match and paint wood ones. also, mix white paint with the other paint, to tone it down some, so that it's not all about the vibrant color, but subtle color.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Gals!

Thanks so much for your input. :)

As for what colors will be in the room, it'll be white of course with the walls being white and also some of the furniture [stands mainly.]

Other colors will be light pinks and light sage green ...

Pretty much, as much as I can - I want to stay with those colors as much as possible but if the pinks and greens wouldn't look right, I'm pretty sure the gold would [I hope!] *lol*

Like I said, I am so way out of my element with doing this stuff. :( :)

Love,

Jen

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moor, I guess when I read your reply the first time - I didn't get what you were trying to say.

I just now re-read it and got it that time.

You're saying get the wood ones and then take the white and the other color and paint over the wood with that paint, am I right? :)

Love,

Jen

what are the colors that are going to be in the room?
get some paint to match and paint wood ones. also, mix white paint with the other paint, to tone it down some, so that it's not all about the vibrant color, but subtle color.

·
Registered
900 Posts
We have a shabby chic decor and I love silver frames, I think they fit beautifully. I'd paint the frames in silver, sage green, and pink. Have a few of each color.

·
Registered
787 Posts
get a sage paint and a light pink paint.
paint some of the frames with the colored paint only.
then mix some white with the colors, to lighten them. then paint some with the mixed colors.
that way they are not all the same, but still within the same color scheme.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much!

Now I can't wait to get the painting done and then ...

Oops, I guess I'd best get the pictures to go in the frames first and then to get started on the frames. :lol:

I know that totally re-doing a place takes time [and patience ... ugh, that's a dirty word! *lol*]

Still, I just want it all done at once so I can see what it's gonna look like. :)

Love,

Jen

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I was going to suggest that what was already suggested.
The chabby chic is the washed-down look.. which is the whitewash we know of today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewash

If your colors are sage green I would go with a washdown version of sage green. Unless it's too much in the room. Sometimes all the matching is not the chabby look.

Darn it on the white walls- but it will all go together anyway.

You know what would be cooler!?
Getting some real old antiquey looking frames. Not the new looking kind.
And giving them a whitewash. The frame could be silver or gold or wood. But giving them all a whitewash will pull them together.

Want to make your own whitewash?
http://fiascofarm.com/recipes/whitewash.html

Want to know how to do a white wash? (which includes store bought paint.)
http://www.dominomag.com/howtos/diy/2006/04/howto_diyprojects_whitewashing

Oh! Have loads of fun decorating on a shoestring! That's what chabby chic was first all about.
Funny how they charge so much for "the look"

I love decorating!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for the advice and the encouragement!

Yes ... darn it on those white walls [I so totally agree. *lol*]

I'm not doing the frames right away but did want to get ideas ahead of time.

Right now after the walls are painted, my first priority is to find a new love seat or something to be done with the one I have.

I wish I loved decorating but when it comes to that stuff, I'm more like a fish out of water. :lol:

Love,

Jen

Darn it on the white walls- but it will all go together anyway.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
More than frames

You don't always have to stick to the frames for adding color. If these pictures are going to be on white walls, I would assume that you want them to capture peoples attention. I think black is a very simple (if its done right) color to add that can go a long way. Its going to stand out from the walls but not be distracting.

And if you want to add color to the frames why not change the matting? Its super easy and if you can't find anything that you like it wouldn't cost more than a couple dollars to make your own by using cardstock. That way you can pick out any color that you want, and you can also add in patterns as well.

Just think how pretty it would be with a black frames with sage and pink mattes with family pictures in them.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'd paint the frames in silver, sage green, and pink. Have a few of each color.

exactly what i was thinking. i would even sand them after you paint them to give them the 'shabby' look. or i would do the crackle finish for the 'shabby' look. throw in some silver frames to give it the 'chic' look.

i do think that white or cream frames would work...as long as they have an aged look and have something going on (either a big matte or curlicue frames).

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
What my immedaite response was: get plain wood frames, wax 'em put some white paint (or off white) on them and wipe off most of it. The wood becomes the background, the white paint remaining in the cracks, etc. is "antiquing."

What I described above is more like "pickling." Or, buy some crackle texture and do whatever color you want. But you're not just trying to match the wall, if you put stuff in the frames you need to have something that looks good with that too.

This is sort of what I had in mind, link:
Vintage Picture Frame Pair Pickled Painted Wood by InheritedTraits

Here's a how-to link:
Whitewashing and Pickling Techniques : Home Improvement : DIY Network

IHTH!

Judi

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
What my immedaite response was: get plain wood frames, wax 'em put some white paint (or off white) on them and wipe off most of it. The wood becomes the background, the white paint remaining in the cracks, etc. is "antiquing."

What I described above is more like "pickling." Or, buy some crackle texture and do whatever color you want. But you're not just trying to match the wall, if you put stuff in the frames you need to have something that looks good with that too.

This is sort of what I had in mind, link:
Vintage Picture Frame Pair Pickled Painted Wood by InheritedTraits

Here's a how-to link:
Whitewashing and Pickling Techniques : Home Improvement : DIY Network

IHTH!

Judi
I agree with painting them white and distressing them. Shabby is all about white on white. Your pop comes from the art work.

I also like silver best with shabby but not a bright chrome silver.
You need to darken it with the same techniques you would do with white.Think of old mercury glass or an aged mirror.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'd paint them a creamy white, something warmer than the walls, and distress it.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I think it also depends on what pictures you are hanging. You can also distress the picture frames which would probably go well with the shabby chic look. Personally I would wait until you are done painting and redecorating before deciding on what color you frames should be. This way you will be able to decide if you want the frames to pop on the wall or create a more tranquill affect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get darker colored frames or crystal clear glass frames or designer one.
Do some painting or crafting on it. Try to decorate it your personal touch.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I love the shabby look, and the first chance I get I'm decorating the spare bedroom that way. If you need more ideas, sign up at Pinterest dot com. You will be hooked! Anyway, really hope you can post some pics. Would love to see it!

Have fun!

Theresa

btw.....I have found a lot of accessories in thrift shops. I recently got a large custom framed and matted beautiful floral pic, that is obviously from the 80s with mauve and country blue matting. But what sold me was the frame. It is VERY "shabby-ornate" white washed Pink. Also the painting is signed, not to mention the $11 price tag!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a pinterest account as i enjoy making things and here people set things out in the yards and put free so you can get alot of nice things and some you can make over yourself i enjoy doing things like this as i have an old shaker style china hutch that was free and i did over it's a nice piece.:wave2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts