Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DS is on cloud 9 today. He is a HS freshman and plays on the junior varsity and varsity football teams at his HS. Today the football players "maxed out". For those (like me) who are clueless as to what that means: Each boy lifts the absolute most they can lift in four categories, dead lift, squats, power clean and bench press. If the combined weight the boy lifts equals 1000 pounds they are in the 1000 pound club. If they lift 1200 = 1200 pound club and 1400 or above = 1400 pound club.

Today DS made the 1000 pound club. He's the only freshman to make it and one of only 7 players to make any of the clubs. There are 5 in the 1000 lb club and 2 in the 1200 lb club. All of the "clubbers" are juniors and seniors except for DS and another boy who is a sophomore. He'll get a gold t-shirt and a white t-shirt that says he is in the 1000 lb club.

He lifted:
Dead lift: 405 lbs
Squats: 315 lbs
Bench: 165 lbs
Power clean: 145 lbs

We are so proud of him. This is his first year at this school. He is a shy kid and this will really helped his self-esteem and he is coming out of his shell around his peers.

Thanks for letting me share my excitement!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hubby says that some of his proudest moments in football came from training in the weight room. On the field is the team, but weightlifting is just you.

Your DS should be very proud, as should you!

Reactions: Neeley

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y'all!

His upper body strength (power clean and bench press) need lots of work, but he rocked the dead lift and squats.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
That is so awesome. What a great way to start the school year.

·
19,119 Posts
Congratulations to you all- that is a fantastic accomplishment!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Awww that's awesome! It's great that he put himself out there and joined the team :)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awww that's awesome! It's great that he put himself out there and joined the team :)
Thanks! We sent him to this school first for their academics, but also so he could play football. He has played on a travel football team since he was 6, but this year he aged out of the travel league and had no where to play. He was so nervous the first couple of days at team workouts. However, the team really welcomed him and he made several friends quickly.

Working out this summer with the team has been a blessing. He now knows so many classmates that the first day of school he won't feel like the new kid on the block.

·
27,948 Posts
Zowie! He's worked hard towards this goal.
His self esteem must be through the roof & will carry over into many parts of his life. Bravo! :clap:

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
That's fantastic! No wonder you are so proud. :clap:

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,038 Posts
That's awesome! Whoo-hoo!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
congrats !!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's awesome!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
That's terrific! It's a big accomplishment for a freshman!

I remember when my older son would compete at the lifting w/ the football team. He was a guard, and the other guard always beat him, but they are still friends to this day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts