Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several questions regarding shampooing carpets:

1. Do you rent an industrial type cleaner, or do you own your own? What kind do you have?
2. How often do you clean your carpets?
3. Has anyone heard of any dangers with cleaning carpets and then having a baby crawling/lying on them?

Our 1870's farmhouse has carpets from the late 60's. I'm sure they've been cleaned before, but not for quite a while. I'd like to get them cleaned since my little guy is just learning to scoot around on his own, and doesn't stay put on a blanket anymore. I've heard "rumors" that carpet cleaning solutions can cause serious illnesses in babies, but I'm not sure how true this is. Does anyone have any information. Ds has his 6 month check-up tomorrow, and I'll be discussing this issue with his dr.

·
FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob
2,161 Posts
When I had carpets, and pets, I did my carpets once a month, I owned my own cleaner it was kenmore I believe, and after I washed it with the solution, I would go back and do it again with just tap water because I didn't like the smell of the solution. That might help, also, I would make sure the carpets are completely dry before touching.--good luck, Kellie

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
We own our own carpet cleaner (actually it's DH's grandma's but it lives in our garage) but we've found that renting a big cleaner from Lowe's gets the carpets cleaner with less work. We use the little one for small areas, but we rent a big one to do whole rooms. We do them maybe once a year.

I've never heard that about babies/ carpet solutions... if you find out anything from the doctor, please let us know!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc says cleaning the carpets is fine as long as ds isn't on them when they're wet. I'm still feeling a little worried, and will just make sure that the solution I use is definitely non-toxic!

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Wendy, the ladies have given you good advice. Make sure you rinse them well not only with it be better for your little one it will keep them cleaner longer and restore the nap of the carpet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts