Frugal Village Forums banner

share some ideas for a small homebased business

10K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  ward93 
#1 ·
I have ran a dayhome for the last 6 years. I am tired of it, my kids are both in school and I feel because I am at home with other peoples kids I am missing out on my kids events. I would love a homebased business I can do from home...I am in Alberta, Canada..we can't legally operate any foodbased business out of our home...I would love to do something like that though...and I can't afford to rent commercial kitchen space...and good luck finding it. I would like to sell something but it seems so does everyone else. I am not into candles, jewelry or make up. Pampered chef,, Watkins and epicure arent bad but there are about 20 people in town selling it. I don't know if there is something different that we don't have up here that is available from the states for me to sell. I like the kitchen stuff...dishes, utensils, spices etc. If you have any ideas for me send them my way. I really love being at home for my kids but I am feeling smothered and tied down when I should be able to be active in their schooling.

#2 ·
I'm in Alberta too and I know exactly how you feel. I am still running my dayhome but am not sure it is still what I want to do now that mine are all back in school.

I'll be watching to see what ideas people have for you.

#3 ·
I want to be home when mine get home but I just feel stuck here now they are gone all day...and I can't drag 3-4 kids across town to the school events so I miss out...I hate that. We used to live right across from their school and it wasnt an issue walking across the street but now we moved into the new house its clear across town and to load them all up isnt worth it. I do it as much as possible. I would love a homebusiness but not something that 14 other people are doing.

Where abouts are you in our snow filled province? I'm in Lloyd.

#4 ·
I know of a woman that had her kitchen certified ( if that is what it is called in Canada) to run a bakery out of her house and kitchen. Not sure what providence though if that matters.

#5 ·
I'm in the Hat.
I only have 3 extra kids right now and they are all in school too so I love that. I had 2 more kids but they just moved away so now I'm not making enough and need to find more kids. If I can find a couple more that just need before and after school care I will be thrilled. I'm just not sure how I feel about taking in younger kids right now. I like being able to go to school functions and volunteer at the school when needed.
I do decorate cakes for people but don't make enough to stop the daycare.

#6 ·
Reactions: danni
#7 ·
There is goverment incentive to take just before and after school kids but the $140/month isnt worth it, I can still only take 4 kids at $5/hour....I might make $30 a day most don't need before school care. I have done cakes too...but I don't do it enough.

I would like a inhome...in your home baking...you want your Xmas baking done call me and I will come into your house, bake it, put it in your deepfreeze ready for you...then I don't have to worry about health codes etc. I know a girl here who set up a facebook group and sold stuff at Xmas...the health inspector was called...her house was inspected and she was fined...first it was dirty and she doesnt have a business licence the city required. If she hadnt set up the facebook page nad just went by word of mouth she would have been fine but she advertised publicly.

I have thought of Pampered chef...I have quite a bit of their stuff, had a party not that long ago...same with Tupperware...same with Sunset Gourmet. We have 3 people in the dayhome association that I work for that sells Discovery toys...and tupperware. I know the Pampered chef lady sign me up under her quickly and the tupperware chick offered the other day but I want something that no one else is doing...if there is such a thing anymore.

I am going to look into the Tastefully simple ...I don't know anyone selling that here.

#8 ·
I've looked at alot of the different home party and catalog businesses but there are already so many people selling different stuff around here. I don't want to start something and just be another rep for it.

I used to sell Regal and I think I am going to look into that again. I'll also have to check to see how many reps they have in the area too.

Hopefully the Tastefully Simple will be good for you.

#9 ·
~How about being a re-seller on Ebay or Half.com? If you can pick up books and movies at yard sales or thrift stores you can resell them on Ebay or other auction sites.
Another thing that is just starting to become popular is Cloth Diaper parties. It works like Tupperware parties only the attendees get to see different brands, styles and types of CD in person. This is especially popular in young communities like military communities. The young CD's are often doing it for environmental reasons and not frugal ones so they'll pay $15 a piece and you get a cut. http://www.clothdiapersuperstore.com/affiliate_info.asp~

#12 ·
I love yard sales and second hand stores...I do sell quite a bit of stuff on the local facebook buy and sells...I have run out of stuff now but spring cleaning is coming. I don't think I could make a decent income a month on it but it would definately supplement a lower income (part time ) job.

#14 ·
When I was selling at a booth in a craft mall, the one woman who made a profit month after month was a lady who made those microwaveable rice bags that you use on sore backs and such. If you like to sew or have a sewing machine, they would be fairly low on overhead (fabric, thread, rice), and you could try selling them on eBay or Etsy, or take them to local craft/fabric shops and see if they'll sell them on commission.

#15 ·
I just wanted to recommend you read a book I am currently reading. I live in the states but like you am looking for something to do from home. This book Amazon.com: Making Money from Home: How to Run a Successful Home-Based Business (9781589976085): Donna Partow: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MEvyum-OL.@@AMEPARAM@@51MEvyum-OL has so much information and ideas in it. I have been reading or I should say studying it for the past week and I have gotten so much information. You might be able to get from the library if not, it is definitely worth the money.
Good Luck on what ever you do.

Reactions: danni
#16 ·
I had written up this list of thoughts for one of the other boards, but thought I would add it here as well.

1. Computer tutoring – teaching others how to use computer programs, surf the internet, etc.

2. General tutoring – tutoring students in Math, English, Science, Social Studies, etc.

3. Concierge service – running errands for people like picking up and returning library books, Blockbuster rentals, dry cleaning, groceries, etc.

4. Organization service – helping people to declutter their homes and/or home offices and then organize the materials that remain.

5. Specialized organization services – a subset for specific projects like helping people to organize their photographs or recipes.

6. Handyman services – helping people with minor household projects like hanging pictures, painting, spring cleaning, etc.

7. Yard cleaning services – lawn mowing, weeding, pruning, planting, etc.

8. Child care – taking care of peoples kids as a daycare type business or just date night type babysitting.

9. Dog walking service

10. Pet sitting – for people that travel and want someone to take care of their furbabies.

11. Elder care – checking in on elderly people to ensure they take their medications, assisting with light housekeeping, taking them grocery shopping, etc.
12. Garage / Yard sale

13. Internet based work – such as writing reviews, getting paid to write blogs, filling out online surveys, etc. (watch out for scams!)

14. Writing – freelance writing of articles for magazines or the local newspaper

15. Typing – freelance typing for local students, businesses, etc.

16. Scanning photographs and creating digital photo albums for people

17. Sewing – mending, clothing repairs, creating new clothing or decorative items for the home, etc.

18. Crafts – creating craft projects and then selling them from your home. Particularly good if you do something customized, like painting pictures of people's homes for instance or creating custom embroidered Christmas stockings with people's names on them.

19. Ebay – selling your own things or things you “rescue” on garbage day. You can sell for others and take a commission on the sale (usually about 50%).

20. Cake decorating – wedding cakes, birthday cakes, etc. (Michael's offers inexpensive classes, though the starting equipment can be a little pricey if you don't already own it)

21. Teaching classes - Michaels and other craft stores are often looking for people to come in and teach classes. So are local continuing education groups, park districts, libraries, etc. Do you have knowledge you could share with others? Could be on computers, organizing, cooking, crafts, etc.

22. Jewelry making - can be relatively easy to learn some of the low end beading / silverwork.

#17 ·
Hey danni, LOVE the Hat! Didn't realize you were there! Been through there so many times. Will stop by next time I go through. :)

Some great ideas on here....do you have a market place where you could sell things? Like a farmers market that you can rent a booth? You could then do baking ... like bread and rolls and sell them there. People would snatch them up. Then you could expand into other food related items. Not sure if it would make you enough though if the market was only open one day a week.

How about Avon? That company seems to be making a comeback....although there might be a few people around you that sell it already. Housecleaning? Hmmm will try and think of more for you.

#19 ·
If you have something you are passionate about (or even interested in learning about) and are OK doing some writing (not award-winning writing, just readable, decent writing), then I have a couple of ideas for you:

1) Create a website about your passion or interest. On the website place ads using a service, such as Google Adsense, which pays you whenever someone clicks an ad on your site. You could also promote affiliate offers such as books from Amazon, and if you get enough traffic to the site, you could sell ad space. I like this approach because you can create the content and keep earning money from it without feeling pressured to produce new content regularly. By the way, I have two sites like this and they both make money (one is even earning around $800 a month – for a site with just 22 short pages).

Another very successful online home-based business for me has been selling used books. I buy them at yard sales, thrift shops and on eBay. I resell them on Amazon. Big tip on books: do not deal in fiction at all, only buy nonfiction and look for something that has value on Amazon already. You can check used book prices at Amazon through a web-enabled phone.

Good luck! If you want some specific info, PM me and I’ll provide you with links to resources, etc.

Steve

#22 ·
These are all great ideas! I love the idea of doing in-home baking for people, they might like that it is done in their own home (or they might hate it lol!). You could always try putting some ads on CL (and the local Facebook buy/sell pages that you mentioned) and see if someone takes you up on it.

I am completely lucky on this one, but I found an office to clean every Saturday morning for $65/week and its small and easy to clean and best of all, they don't care if I am licensed/bonded. Could be a liability for me but I am just going with it as we need the money!

Can you clean houses in the mornings after you drop your kids off at school? Do their schools have lunch aides that you could apply to do? Or work in the cafeteria? It isn't at home but its good hours!

Also, you might want to check out some of the forums like work place like home dot com (no spaces) for wah jobs. I do some call center work from home!

Oh one last thing, when I went to my last craft fair, the lady making the most sales was the one selling homemade dog treats! Go figure!

Reactions: NikoSan999
#23 ·
I wanted to add some more thoughts for income potential... (carrying forward my earlier list)

23. Publish a kindle book

24. Set up a cafepress.com site (or equivalent type of company) where you can sell products. This could be clever slogans you think up or photographs you take yourself or art that you draw, for instance. They can print or create items one at a time and they handle all the shipping and fulfillment for you.

25. Blogtalkradio - they offer revenue sharing for advertising - Make your own internet radio show on a topic of your choice! You could also use this to advertise/market your own home based business

26. Fiverr.com - site where you can sell or buy services for $5 (and upgrades for more money)

27. Teespring.com - this is a site where you can have t-shirts created. You set the minimum number, the tshirts are crowdsourced. If you set the minimum as 10 tshirts and 9 shirts get sold, no one pays and the deal goes nowhere. If you sell 11 (or 1000) the tshirts are sold and you keep the profits. No money needed on your part. They handle all fulfillment/shipping.

28. Online Juries - Law firms stage mock trials. You sign up to participate in an online jury. You agree to review a case and fill out a survey related to it. You get paid $5-10 for each one. Here's one, but there are others: eJury.com...Learn About

29. Book Jingle - Sell Textbooks | Sell Used Books Online For Cash You put in your isbn numbers off your book and they give you an instant offer. They pay the shipping to send the books to them. I believe Amazon has a similar deal.

30. Focus Groups - Find Focus Groups - Paid Studies, Taste Tests, and Market Research This site allows you to search by cities (sorry, looks like most are major metro areas, not surprisingly) and states for focus groups and lists the $ they are paying for participation.

31. Sell your photographs to stock photography places! If you decide to do this, be sure to take the highest resolution pictures that your camera can do. Examples of sites where you can do this include: Sell Stock Photos Online ? Make Money With Dreamstime and Sell your images and videos | Shutterstock

32. Design digital scrapbook templates! Welcome to DIGITALSCRAPBOOKPAGES.COM

33. Do transcription, if you have typing skills. SpeechInk : You transcribe on your time. We pay competitive rates.

34. https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome They pay you for doing very small tasks with very small amounts of money. The tasks are things that can't be done by a computer (hence Human Intelligence Tasks - HITs). Owned by Amazon.

#25 ·
I am an Independent Distributor with Young Living Essential Oils. Not only is there money to made there, but using the oils will change your life. I never intended to have a business with them but once I started using the oils I couldn't help but share, and the cool thing is I make money by sharing what I love!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.