Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have them, and they are what make this holiday so special. I have way to many to post them all, but this one stands out.

When my now 27 year old neice Chantel was 17, she decided she wanted to help me cook the turkey and dressing for our family Thanksgiving feast. I started her out with something that I thought was pretty simple, and told her to wash the turkey. I even asked her if she knew how and she said she did. Well, I went to the other side of the kitchen to start cutting the vegetables for the dressing when I heard her ask over the sound of the running water, "Aunt Carolyn, how do I get the soap off of the turkey?" My heart stopped for a second and I fled to the sink. She had poured Dawn all over the poor thing and had scrubbed it, inside and out! That was one clean bird!

Lucky for us, we had 4 large chickens on the smoker along with a boston butt and also some ribs. My son to this day reminds her of how that poor turkey died in vain. He lives in Indiana, but it's now tradition that he call her on Thanksgiving Eve to remind her not to give her turkey a bubble bath.

I remember they put the soapy turkey in a bucket of water in the garage and that gobbler was still blowing bubbles that night, LOL

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
For me its all the years growing up with my sisters and putting up the tree at my folks house. We would put on the Thanksgiving Day Parade and put up the fake tree. AS we grew up and married we'd come home that morning and still do the tree. There are all sorts of pictures of our children in walkers with garland streaming off them and santa caps on their heads. Now I send that day doing my own decorating. Middle sister who still lives with my folks handles the tree with her daughter.

Laurie in BRadenton

·
Registered
652 Posts
My mother had 2 sisters. We used to all have thanksgiving together. My mothers oldest sister always fixed the corn. Here in Missouri it is customary to put a little sugar in it when you are cooking, we she put enought sugar in to make you a diabetic!! It was good, but when I think of all the sugar we all consumed that day..no wonder we kids were getting in trouble throughout the day...we were all on a sugar high and didn't know sugar even caused that. My mom and one of sisters have since passed away, but we still have Aunt Juanita corn..minus the 3 cups of sugar!!! Blessings...Kathy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts