Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few of you know DD and two other classmates went on talk radio yesterday to let our community know about the violence happening at her school.

Well, we never expected it to get this big. The girls were only suppose to be on the air for 30 minutes. The call volume and response was so high, they were on the air for an hour and a half. Prior to the radio show, the host had over 200 FaceBook posts and private emails about the situation.

At one point the principal called in said everything was hunky dory at the school. The radio host asked him was he saying that what the girls were saying was not true and he said yes. At that point the radio host hung up on the principal. He said he wasn't going to let him call the girls liars. Even current teachers called in to say the principal was off his rocker and the girls were being truthful. Yet, the principal told the TV station that there were problems and he had it under control. Funny thing is, he is the one who told the girls that teachers and seniors need to take a stand and do something because he was doing all he could. Well, the girls took a stand - in a big way.

One of our television stations interviewed our DD. It was on the night and morning news.

DD and the other two girls are a bit nervous about today. But, teachers called us last night and told the girls how proud they are of them, and they did the right thing.

One or two minor threats were made against the girls from some low-life thugs. We talked to DD about safety. She also had a few teachers tell her to come to them for a safe place if she needs it.

Here is a link to the interview the TV station did with DD after the radio show. Lunchroom Brawls

I'll post a link to the podcast later today when they upload it.

Any prayers, good thoughts, happy mojo - whatever is really appreciated.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Prepare for administrative repercussions.

And stay the course!

Reactions: Neeley

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prepare for administrative repercussions.

And stay the course!
Thanks and you are so right.

We talked about that before she even went on the radio. She knows they are going to be out to get them, so to speak. She is this year's Valedictorian, and she is aware that the school may very well find a way to take that from her. DD told us someone needed to stand up and take back the school. She also said that she knows when you take a stand for something, you always face opposition and nothing worth fighting for comes easy.

One of the teachers assured me last night that if the admin approaches DD, she will be with her. This teacher taught my DH and I in HS and taught DD her sophomore year. I feel confident in her taking extra care of DD and notifying us if and as soon as the admin approaches DD in any way.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Get her a pocket tape recorder, and coach her to start recording any time she's anywhere near the administrators of the school, and NOT TO EVEN HINT that she's got it.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I use to be an elected school board official Neely, and I have to ask where the heck is the board in all this? They need to step up and take control of the situation, the buck stops with them ultimately. I know that it is important to not "micromanage" as the saying usually goes....sigh .....when there is something wrong at school level, and they don't want the board involved. But the responsibility of the children, their safety, and education is the board and administrations job.
Blessings to your daughter and your family. Tell her to stay strong, stay the course, be professional and continue to tell the truth and make the District, administration and school be accountable to the children, parents, staff, and tax paying citizens.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
If the principal is coming on the air to contradict the students AND teachers, odds are he's not letting the truth get to the board.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The board members are usually active members of the community, school district, maybe parents etc. if it is to this point I am very hard pressed to believe they don't know. Burying their heads in the sand maybe, making excuses maybe, trying to not "micromanage" maybe Dealing with it NOT!

Neely you as a parent need to get parents together make a formal request in writing to the board in care of the President , send it certified and request to have it on the next board agenda ( they will need at least 24-48 hours or more for legal purposes). Be prepared to speak and have your support network in the audience. You will be given a few minutes so make your speech concise, and to the point. Also send a certified letter to the board of your concerns, so it is on record and they will then have to have the District lawyer review and they will need to "find a solution" quick :)

·
27,948 Posts
I wouldn't want to be a student, teacher or principal in this day and age. :(
Hoping the kids who want to learn can & teachers are allowed to teach all without fear or insane unfunded mandates.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Good for her in taking a stand. Now she needs to stay strong to her beliefs and not be bullied because of this. You should be a proud mama! :)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The principal is trying to keep the whole issue under the table. One teacher took photos of 17 different student's injuries after one of the fights. She was going to the media herself with it until the principal sent an email to all teachers telling them to keep this quiet, not take it to the media, not do conduct any investigations, etc...I did not believe this was true, until I got a copy of the email and saw it for myself.

DH emailed our Board last week asking for help. He received an email from one saying she was forwarding his email to the superintendent. Another board member called him back, said she was investigating the situation and would get back to him. We have yet to hear back. That same board member was suppose to be on the radio show with the girls, but she did not call to cancel nor bother to show up. The girls were disappointed. They felt like this board member was on their side, for lack of better terms. They had thank you letters to give her and everything. It was a big let down to us all and has given us a reason to rethink her re-election.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
DH emailed our Board last week asking for help. He received an email from one saying she was forwarding his email to the superintendent. Another board member called him back, said she was investigating the situation and would get back to him. We have yet to hear back. That same board member was suppose to be on the radio show with the girls, but she did not call to cancel nor bother to show up. The girls were disappointed. They felt like this board member was on their side, for lack of better terms. They had thank you letters to give her and everything. It was a big let down to us all and has given us a reason to rethink her re-election.
I bet you start getting all KINDS of attention from the board NOW.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is crazy, to say the least. The radio host said this is the biggest local story he has ever covered. He said the community response is phenomenal. It was suppose to be lead story on the news last night, but right before the news was to air, there was a murder across town and that took over as the lead. But, it was the second story and has been all over the morning news as well.

DD sent her dad a text earlier to say things were going OK and she was fine. No fights, threats or any of the like so far.

So many people are really upset about the principal calling the girl's lairs that they want to have shirts made that say "I Believe Ali, Anna & Rachel". Then wear them to the school board meeting. That made me smile - something I needed!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
That's awesome what your daughter and her friends did. Tough girls! Good for them!

(Sounds like they need a 'Joe Clark' kind of principal over there. Is he still alive?)

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
DD told us someone needed to stand up and take back the school. She also said that she knows when you take a stand for something, you always face opposition and nothing worth fighting for comes easy.
:tay: Good for your dd.............hugs to her and tell her to hang in there. :clap:

School politics can be dirty stuff..........so be careful and take care!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.