Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever shipped a car? We are planning to attend a wedding in Northern California in September. We intend to fly, but then started thinking about driving back to Ohio - about 2,500 miles. We talked a little about renting a car to drive back, then I wondered how much it would cost to ship our car. I contacted a car shipping place & got several quotes, all around $1,000. We rented a car last fall in Colorado for about ten days & it was over $800.00. Since we may take three or four weeks on this adventure. I think I would like to have our car, plus we can send up to 100 pounds of personal stuff in our car.
I am interested to know anyone's experience.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have shipped a car twice when I moved from California to Florida and back. Each time it took around 10 days to two weeks or more for the car to be delivered. They pick up cars from a variety of places along the way and deliver one at a time. I had no problems with each delivery and I was able to track my car as it traveled via a link they gave me.

I did research the company and read reviews before I hired them. Everything worked as they said, so I would do it again if needed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have no shipping experience - but I've made the drive multiple times. San Fran to mid Ohio takes 34 to 35 hours, Int 80. An easy 3 - 12 hour days unless you are traveling with small children. (Then it's still 3 days but you have to work at it harder). If you're taking 3 to 4 weeks for the trip, I would not mess with airports, I'd drive both ways. (Disclosure: This comes from someone who enjoys driving the 8000 mile round trip to Alaska and back).

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I was going to suggest just driving both ways, too. If you schedule it right, you could take different routes out there and back, and then see different sights along the way each way. You wouldn't have to rush if you planned it right. 2,500 miles really isn't that far if you break it into short stretches with stops to see things so you're not driving long days.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have often said we want to do a car trip out west, but it never happens. Since we are going to this wedding, we initially just thought we would spend a couple weeks in CA. Then it evolved to renting a car, to drive home, then the shipping idea came up. We aren't getting any younger & I think we need to make the most of this trip, as we may not get back that direction.
Thanks Birdie for sharing your experience. They told me it would take 5-7 days to get the car out there, so they can take it early before we leave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts