Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Interesting but I dont think I could do it permanently. Part time visit during spring-fall, sure why not but full time...I dont think I could do it. Plus the bathroom is accessed by going outside...can't imagine that in the cold snow stormy winter!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the answer!! My office in the Virgin Islands (Caribbean) is two 40ftcontainers placed side by side. The inside is drywalled and the floors are the original wood floors of the container nice and smooth with a pretty dark patina. We have a bathroom inside the office, its the width of one container, sorry no shower. We also have upstairs neighbours ther are staggered back 6 feet so there is an over hang behind us which makes great storage and if it was a real home a nice shaded porch area.
When the power goes out the A/C is not working but the heat does not become unbearble, and when we have hurricanes the office is our go to safe place.

This is how I will be building my home when I return to the states but it will be insulating the walls for the northern climate!

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
I can't play the link, but I saw a place made out of several containers on a show one time. It was a big luxury cottage. They weren't side by side, but all came out from a central middle area. It was in a cold climate (Maine I think) but was only a summer home.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That was interesting.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
When dd was deployed to Iraq, their housing was a CHU, which is basically HALF of a shipping container. I can tell you what she thought of living in that for a year....

·
Registered
16,360 Posts
Our house is too big and is getting to be too much bother. We spend a lot of time in our 700 sq. foot MIL and 1/2 of that is a pantry . If you had 2 people and 2 side by side you could have a kitchen,bedroom and bath in one half and living area,bathroom and pantry or pantry,living room and small office in the other. Seroiusly will look into this when the pets pare down and the kids leave. No outer maintainence,no mortgage, and lots less to clean. ???? hmmm.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Good idea, but... I am wondering what problems would go along with trying to get the okay to put this on your land.

Even mobile homes have 'special rules' in some places. You can build a house on your land, but you can't have a mobile home.

Otherwise, this really isn't much different from other buildings I was looking at.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here it was quite easy, pour a concrete slab, have plumbing lines dropped along with electrical lines and the permits were easy to get. You will need to figure out water source for your area.

Honestly its still not toasty in summer...

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
that's pretty cool. one could expand upon this idea and use other containers. There was someone who made a home inside a relocated grain silo...similar idea.

·
Registered
16,360 Posts
Incognito lets get a bunch and paint them blue,red,green and yellow like giant duplo blocks for the nosy neighbors. We can start a whole community. You can think up a name if you like.lol

It doesn't matter where you live there is always someone saying something. I just think of these things as more suitible for large acreage anyway. Upper MI wouldn't bug me I don't think.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.