Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:nrant:I was at walmart today walked back to where crafts and sewing supplies was looked all the material was gone except 2or3 parcel bolts,last time i looked probably around christmas time they had all kinds material and a lot of it.I am going try go to the other walmart store in town this week see if they still have material,i get to liking walmart less all the time.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Sorry Piney, how disappointing for you. I know exactly how you feel they took mine out last yr. I love to sew, do crafts and reupholster and was always able to find some great deals . I was so disappointed as well.

Reactions: piney

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Walmart has been planning for years to remove their fabric department. I'm surprised to hear you still had one recently. They're all about the bottom dollar, and sewing is no longer the hobby it used to be. They started removing the fabrics from urban stores about two years ago, in cities where they had competition from bigger fabric shops.

Reactions: piney

·
8,714 Posts
~It really stinks when they pull the sewing department out. I saved so much money on fabric and notions up until 3 years ago when they removed ours. Now I have to buy my fabric in PA when I'm on vacation there and I pay 3X more. The nearest fabric store to me is 5X more. :(
I was shocked to see a partial department at WM in NC on my vacation last weekend. I asked for PUL and that's it. I would have loved to buy some of the bargains but I'm trying to declutter before our move.~

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fabric department at your wal mart. We have what seems to be a big fabric department. It sometime has two people cutting and I still have to wait in line to get fabric cut.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It is disappointing, isn't it? I read a recent article about Walmart losing lots of customers because they had removed 10,000 products from the grocery area of the store, but I can't help but believe that a few of those shoppers were people who liked having a fabric department under the same roof. (The article went on to say that they were going to start bringing those grocery products back).

One of our Walmarts has kept a very small fabric area because of complaints.

·
19,119 Posts
Our WM has cut its faabric department in half, so at lest we have some fabric. I did find exactly the fabric I wanted there for the backing of my Hawaiian quilt - total luck!!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I noticed that our "local" Michael's severely reduced its yarn section a few years ago. Happily, I have two local yarn shops within easy driving distance from my home, and another one within easy driving distance of my work, so it didn't impact me much, but I was disappointed to see it go. It seems to have been replaced by just a lot of crap that isn't really even "craft" stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our local wm also got rid of their fabric department and in it's place some fat quarters and about 8 colours of cut materials. It seems like they are all cut from the same bolt of material too. I don't know why they closed our fabrics as whenever I was there, we had to wait in line to get things cut. We still have most of the notions though which is nice cost wise compared to the ones around here.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My local Walmart got rid of the fabric & sewing patterns, etc. when it was remodeled about a year ago.

Luckily, there are many other choices in my area to shop besides Walmart.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our Walmart cut the fabric dept out a couple of years ago. So many people called to complain that they brought it back. It is smaller than it was but at least it's some. They posted a big notice and thanked customers for making those calls. That's the only thing that saved the department.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My local walmart has not had a fabric department for about 3 years...It just makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My local WalMart has never had a fabric dept. The "good" Walmart a few miles away and much bigger, closed their fabric dept. Now I have to shop Joann to get what I want.

P.S. The good WalMart was under renovation throughout the store recently, wonder what's up with that?

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Sorry about your WM piney.

Ours took their fabric out about a year ago.....or little more.

Was told by a store employee that they are ALL going to have their fabric gone...............don't know what the date deadline is..........be prepared if you still have fabric in your store!

but..........our yarn section got bigger!

I HATE the new store arrangement.........spread out with aisles going every which way.......dog stuff is clear in the back by electronics......just before going into groc.

I just shop there less and less.......for multiple reasons now.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
It was removed at the WM's around here a long time ago. Fortunately, we have Fabric Depot here, which is about a million times better than WM ever dreamed of being! :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
They have taken most of our faberic out of WM. It is 70 mile one way to a faberic store and they too have cut way back on faberic of any kind. They have more craft stuff now and flowers..

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
We still have fabric at mine. I have asked if it's leaving & the clerks act like they don't know what I'm talking about. I have just read within the last 2 wks that Walmart has lost a lot of customers due to Family Dollar, Dollar General, $Tree etc. People are finding it easier to run in there for general purchases. Stores are smaller, less walking, easier in & out. Remember when Walmart, a few years back, cut back on inventory? When you used to have several choices of an item-they went with maybe 2. I noticed & was disappointed. Anyways, the article said Walmart has "heard" the people & will start offering more choices, as before.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.