Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it so hard to find decent gifts for pre-teen girls? I've got 3 nieces 8-13 to shop for this year and it seems like an exercise in frustration. Everything is either aimed at babies, or it's far above their maturity level. Especially the beauty products.

Now, I don't think girls this age should be wearing makeup, but I would like to find some perfume or a grooming kit that doesn't have some half naked vamp on the package or use the words "sexy", "exotic" or "passion". Is it too much to ask for a sweet and simple girls bubble bath or body powder?

Argh! How do you buy for this age?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
My daughter is going to be 10 soon

She likes the Bath and Body scents. It is the "cool" thing in her school with the girls to get the scented antibacterial and the carry clip on case and wear it around clipped to your belt loop.

Love Baby soft is her favorite perfume from the store.

Bath and body Works scents are here favorite. I get the body spray over in the travel size. Here favorite scents there are Sea Island Cotton and PS I Love You

I know the middle school girls at my son's school (middle school junior high) like Bath and Body Works scents also.

The cheapest way to buy stuff at Bath and Body works is to buy it a bit at a time. They give you coupons when you check out, give them your e-mail and they will send you coupons in your e-mail.
They also send coupons in the mail.

Sorry don't know much about bubble bath as we can't use it here.

Reactions: Contrary Housewife

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
do you have a claires near you - hair items -jewelry perfumes- etc aimed at their age level. sometimes they have 10 for 10$ sales on smaller items .

what about a craft kit - today at 5 and below store i saw for 5$ each kits to make friendship bracelets - i have seen kits to make your own perfumes etc

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Avon.com has some good things that aren't too sexy for tweens, and they have free shipping now through Monday. They have lots of bath and body stuff that might be appropriate!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Fun toe socks
loves baby soft
nail and pedicure kit (electric) Kmart had them for $10
purses

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, Claire's sounds like a good idea. They've always got cool stuff, I'll have to be careful not to spend too much on myself. I love their sparkly jewelry and hair clips.

I just wish they had locations that weren't in major malls. The traffic at our nearest one is bad enough but this time of year they have it all blocked off and going one way only, ugh!

Oh, for anyone else looking, I found "Twilight" board games for $10 at Family Dollar today. Every place else I saw them they were $15 and up.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
My dd is 10, and she is into:

knee socks
any kind of "unmatching" socks
nail polish
bath & body works
"special" face soap (she has clean and clear now)
body wash
cd's
any of the American Girl books
anything from Claire's

·
Registered
590 Posts
comfy, fluffy slippers...........dd is well out of her tweens and teens and still loves it when mom and dad restock her slipper supply every couple of years........particularly pink/purple and anything sparkly.

Cute little inexpensive bracelets and/or rings from Claires (if you have one near you).

Mine was an art kind of girl, so anything that beefed up her already good supply of pencils, paints and charcols was welcomed.

·
Registered
10,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I went up to the mall this morning and it actually wasn't too bad. Hit the 10/10 rack at Claire's and then B&BW next door. Spent less than $20 and have gifts and stocking stuffers for all 3 girls now. Managed to get out of there just as the hordes of shoppers and lines of SUVs started arriving.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
claires is awesomely cheap.

any girl that age is totally into Justice...hit the clearance rack. the 40% coupon is a great deal. can use it on cearance also. they also give J Bucks....look into it. worth it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have a Bath and Body Works around you? I got my daughter a little kit that came with hand lotion, bubble bath, and a few other things and it was called sweet peas.
That sweet pea scent is HEAVEN!!! My daughter is 11 and she loves it also. Ive got the bubble bath, lotion, antibacterial gel, and the roll on perfume. I think any of these would make a perfect gift.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh yea i forgot about Justice. I just bought some cute shirts on clearance from ambercrombie. They were $11. Which i thought was a great deal, considering some things in there are $40. Yikes to me.. Glad you found some things.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Bath and Body works used to have a line of American Girl bath products.

Also, Michaels carries alot of American Girl scrapbooking type items... might be an idea?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.