Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I need your expert frugal opinions. I have the opportunity to buy a Ronco Food Dehydrator for practically nothing brand new. My husband loves beef jerkey and my best friend loves dried fruit so I was thinking about getting one. I just wanted to know if anyone can give me their opinions on them. Do you think that it will be worth it, factoring in the cost to buy the meat, fruit etc. plus electricity costs? Or would it just be cheaper to buy the dehydrated stuff on sale? Also, does anyone have any other ideas on what I could use it for besides just dried jerkey and dried fruit?

Thanks,
Rhi :smball:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have one and to be honest-I rarely use it. I make beef jerky a couple of times a year and made fruit leathers for the kids when they were younger occassionaly but I really don't use it enough to justify the storage space that it takes up or the cost of the machine. I think it is just as economical to buy the dried fruits from the bulk barrels at the grocery store. I made jerky in the oven before I got my dehydrator and it turned out just as well.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
I have one my neighbor gave me. I don't have the directions to it, so I am not sure how to use it. I want to try to dry my own jerky, fruit, etc. If you think you will really use it, I say go for it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Melody, If I buy the Ronco one and that's the one you have I'd be happy to copy the directions and send them to you.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I have 2 and I use them a lot in the fall, I love the 500 watt one.... If you have fruit given to you or grow your own they are great.... I craft with mine also... I dry apples and citrus fruit for crafts.......... If you can get one for next to nothing, and will use it.. I would learn some new things with it.... Mine came with a kit for making jerkey from lean ground beef.... It's not bad......

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
All I can find on mine is the words "Electro Sun" Dehydrator and model 1092.

I wish my friend had the paperwork and recipies! :(

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
I love my dehydrator- jekry, fruit leathers, dried fruits, dried veggies, zuchinni chips (yummy) , minced dried onions (I do those in the summer kitchen due to the odor) and so on. . . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts