Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was on the news tonight again.

A brief summary as I understand it: there is now a vaccine that can prevent the virus that causes a type of cervical cancer. (I'm sure everyone knows this already.) Some lawmakers want to make it a mandatory vaccine for teenaged school girls.

People are getting all up in arms about giving the vaccine to teens, because the main way this virus is spread is sexual contact. :confused: I don't get it! I don't believe that getting the vaccine is going to make teens any more likely to have sex... it's not like we're handing them birth control. (Now THAT, I object to!) And, a girl can get it even if she only has one sexual partner in her lifetime (ie: her future husband)... guys carry it without knowing it. I really don't think that telling teenagers that this shot will prevent a future occurance of cancer is going to make a big difference in their choice as to whether or not they become sexually active.

I will get the vaccine for my daughter when she is the right age. Why wouldn't I want to do everything in my power to prevent her from getting cancer?

Personally, I see this as no different from any other vaccine that is mandated for school. We're mandated to vaccinate them against other contagious diseases. I guess those who object to vaccines in general would also object to this one, and I can respect their right to do so.

OK, I'm getting off my :soapbox: now....

I'm interested to hear what others think....

·
Registered
626 Posts
My government instructor's wife is a research scientist working in the OB/gyn field. According to him they are making a mistake by only requiring that girls be immunized. He said that men carry the virus also and if they really want this new drug to be effective, it needs to be given to men & women. Also if you don't want your daughter to get the vaccine, you can sign a waiver and supposedly the waiver isn't very strict.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I have a lot of rage regarding the lack of support and need to hide anything related to sexual health in this country!

Whether or not it should be mandatory doesn't really matter to me, but it should certainly be encouraged and well explained and everyone should be informed about it!

I can't stand the way this country tip-toes around sexual issues. We are so afraid. Yet our country has a greater wealth of problems than most European countries who are open and rational, and support the scientific evidence about these things. Even making condoms and birth control available will NOT cause an out-of-control teen sexual revolution.

Teen pregnancy, STD, and abortion rates are more problematic here than in many European countries where sex is not so repressed, so clearly we don't have a handle on it by avoiding it.

And that's what I think.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
When is the right age? If it is a sexually transmitted disease then the risk comes with having sex. If a child isn't going to have sex until they are "of age" ,I'm assuming that is 18, then they can make the choice for themselves.

·
Registered
353 Posts
...If a child isn't going to have sex until they are "of age" ,I'm assuming that is 18, then they can make the choice for themselves.
These days, that is a very big if. I know many of us want to believe our children will abstain, but I think we have to be realistic. I agree that the vac should be mandatory for boys and girls and given before age 12.

I know this is grim, but what happens if your child is raped? If they're not vacced, it is one more horrible after-effect you and the child will have to worry about. Considering the lastest stats show that 1 in 4 American females will be the victim of some type of sexual assault during her lifetime, we are talking about a very real possibility.

If I, as a parent, could have prevented my child from getting cancer but chose not to, well, I couldn't live with myself.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Let's be clear hear about the vaccine too. This is not a vaccine for cervical cancer, it is a vaccine for HPV (Human papillomavirus) which is a viral infection. The problem is that certain strains of it CAN lead to cervical cancer. Getting the vaccine reduces your likelihood for contracting several (not all) strains of the virus to combat the chance that you will end up with cervical cancer.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
These days, that is a very big if. I know many of us want to believe our children will abstain, but I think we have to be realistic. I agree that the vac should be mandatory for boys and girls and given before age 12.

I know this is grim, but what happens if your child is raped? If they're not vacced, it is one more horrible after-effect you and the child will have to worry about. Considering the lastest stats show that 1 in 4 American females will be the victim of some type of sexual assault during her lifetime, we are talking about a very real possibility.

If I, as a parent, could have prevented my child from getting cancer but chose not to, well, I couldn't live with myself.
I certainly agree. It would seem to me that being raped could also result in a tragic pregnancy, birth control is not regulated by the state and in many areas will not be provided for teens that request it.Vaccinations for school prevent diseases that are transmitted by other means than sexual.While I am totally for the vaccine, I question it being mandated, just the same as I would question mandated birth control.My belief is that both should be provided.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

It's interesting that you should bring up that scenario. Just the other day, I was speaking to a woman at work about the vaccine. She said that she was raped at 17 and as a result, contracted the virus. She says that should she have a girl (she is pregnant right now with her first child) that once that girl is 12 years old, she will definitely have her immunized. Being in the healthcare field, I have to say that I am all for a vaccine which could help prevent cervical cancer.

--Michelle

·
Registered
161 Posts
But isn't the real question whether or nor the state has the right to MANDATE that girls must be vaccinated. We can agree that the vaccine is beneficial, maybe even necessary, but I don't think the government has the right to tell me what I must do to my own child.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Number 1 issue-there isn't conclusive evidence on the effects/side effects of this vaccine past a five year mark according to most studies.
Number 2 issue-the patent on this vaccine expires very soon-meaning that the drug company that makes it is pushing this before a generic can be part of the picture. And if we are talking about being naive-how about not thinking that this isn't a huge $$$ maker for the drug company. Imagine how many vaccines would be needed if it became mandatory.
Number 3 issue(and most important!)-I don't need/want the government to decide how I parent my child-I will make the decision(along with my pediatrician) as to which vaccines are appropriate.and whether my child should have it. (JMHO)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Vaccines for polio, measles, mumps and even chickenpox are mandatory for kids entering the public school system. I'm just curious if those who are against this vaccine being made mandatory are also against the other vaccines being mandatory for school kids? As far as making the HPV vaccine mandatory, I agree this would be quite a boon for Merck, the manufacturer. Our governor is trying to make it mandatory for school girls to have the vaccine. I am fully aware that the reason he's doing this is because of a financially chummy relationship he has with the pharmaceutical company. And while I'm not sure that this vaccine shold be mandatory, I can't imagine not getting my daughter vaccinated against it if she were younger (she's 18 now, of an age she should make her own decision.) just as I could not imagine not having my kids vaccinated against these other diseases. I think I'd be a pretty poor parent if I didn't do everything I can to keep my kids healthy.

--Michelle

·
27,948 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
For myself, I am not against a vaccine for a disease or illness that is spread other than sexually. I think as parents we all want to protect our children. But I find it odd that a couple of examples as to when the vaccine should be given stated age 12 or around age 12, this is an age when children begin to enter into puberty. To me, it seems an issue of sexual conduct, and I believe parents need to take that responsibility, not the state.If we are trying to prevent this disease as a result of a crime, then mandating should be from birth, as even babies fall victim rape and abuse.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I do not agree with the government mandating it. I do think it is something that each person should look into and research it on their own so they can make the best decision for themselves. DH and I have already talked to DD about it and she decided to get the vaccine. She has been provided with all of the information on it from us and by her own research. It was not a decision we made for her. It is a decision we made with her. Ultimately it is her body and if she was not comfortable with getting this vaccination then we would not force it on her.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I do not agree with the government mandating it. I do think it is something that each person should look into and research it on their own so they can make the best decision for themselves. DH and I have already talked to DD about it and she decided to get the vaccine. She has been provided with all of the information on it from us and by her own research. It was not a decision we made for her. It is a decision we made with her. Ultimately it is her body and if she was not comfortable with getting this vaccination then we would not force it on her.
This is something my daughter and I both discussed, even though she is an adult. We both chose it.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My gynecologist encouraged me to get it right when it came out. I didn't do it right then because I wanted to read up on it. But I went back a few weeks later and got it started. Getting the 3rd shot in about a month and a half.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
My main concern is that this vaccine is a relatively new drug. Whose to say that in five years that doctors won't say this is a dangerous things as has happened in the past with various medicines.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Okay I will be showing my age here. I don't think that this should be MANDATORY. As it has been said before we don't know the risks/side effects/benefits past a few years. Who is to say that giving it to a 12 year old girl NOW, won't cause problems later on during child birth years.

An example. When I was younger it was a big think to get the Swine Flu shots. It was supposed to prevent many problems with certain strains of the FLU viris down the line. Well my mom was a bit of a procrastinator on it and finally decided to start our series of 3 shots. Right before the 3rd shot was to be given, they came out stating that the shots had really bad side effects if you wanted to have a kid later in life. Hello is was 13 at the time.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I was freaked out that she was going to have a tail and a horn because of these shots. Luckily she was okay, but it is a scary thought.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I agree that I would like to see what the side effects/dangers of this drug are before I get vaccinated. There have been a number of drug recalls in the past, and I want to be cautious about this one too.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I can't believe people would be so ignorant as to think that their girls would become more promiscious if they can a vacine to prevent a desease. Even if their daughters remain a virgin there is no guarantee that the man may carry the desease. I have a dear friend whose husband was unfaithful to her over a number of months but now she tested postive for HPV which could some day turn into cerivical cancer. No really fair that she was virtuous but her husband was a tomcat.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts