Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking to myself as I made some tuna salad that I'm not getting as many sandwiches out of a can. Yep, sure enough the can has gone from 6½ oz to 5 and the price has gone up too. Boo hiss!:down: I looked online & I guess this change happened in August & I must have been using bigger ones from my stash for a while so didn't notice til now.
Have you noticed this happening more with anything new too?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I hate that...!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've noticed it with a few different things. The tuna cans was brought to my attention last week shopping. When I noticed that the cans shrunk and the prices didn't.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had a post about this the other day! I was mad too! I went to the store and the store brand tuna was still 6oz, but I'm sure they will start changing to 5oz as well.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Soap is shrinking, too. I used to buy Ivory Soap in 12 packs, today, I thought the package looked smaller, and sure enough, it's down to 10 bars and up $.50 in price.

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a post about this the other day! I was mad too! I went to the store and the store brand tuna was still 6oz, but I'm sure they will start changing to 5oz as well.
Sorry Becky, I missed it. :blush:
I'm not surprised I'm not the only one ticked off, that's a big difference for a little can like that. :rollingpin:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
The problem is the price doesn't go down, kwim. If they are going to shrink the item, then shrink the price do. Do they think their customers won't notice things like this. Drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Yes! I actually took a picture of my most recent "shrinking product" find yesterday. I opened a box of Price Chopper brand graham crackers only to find there are only THREE packages instead of four like there used to be! I've been buying Aldi's brand for a while, which still has 4 in pkgs in each box but bought them at PC for pure convenience. I won't be doing that again!!

As you can see from my picture, they didn't change the size of the box...there's room for the one more pkg that used to be there :angry:

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd write to them Heather. Price Chopper is usually pretty good with customer complaints. At least you can let them know you are miffed.;)

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
It's winter. Packages shrink when its cold. Well known biological fact... ;)
:king:

·
27,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's winter. Packages shrink when its cold. Well known biological fact... ;)
:king:

:excuseme: uh...stay warm Greebo.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yet one more reason to keep on our toes and continue to check unit prices....even though we regularly purchase those products.

I don't purchase cereal from the store (make my own from wholegrains), so I rarely even go down the isle. Recently there was an end-cap at Wal-Mart with boxes of cereal stacked to the sky. As I turned the corner, I was shocked to see the boxes were so much thinner than years ago. How DO you fine folks with young cereal-eating children manage? You get 17-cents worth of grain and you end up paying 20X that for the package and advertising. Even with a double-coupon, on sale, that's still highway robbery. :thud:

Now we know why those old family recipes don't come out like Mom's did - we're missing the correct amounts in the new-reduced cans.

·
Registered
282 Posts
This topic was on the Today Show recently. They showed many products that were slightly smaller than they used to be. And then charging more. Skippy peanutbutter was really tricky though. The jars looked the same sitting on the shelf but if you tipped the jar over you saw a huge indent in the bottom of the new package.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Now we know why those old family recipes don't come out like Mom's did - we're missing the correct amounts in the new-reduced cans.
That's exactly what I was saying in the other thread about shrinking packages. Usually you
think you've done something wrong to the recipe
and come to find out you don't have enough of
the product. That also means you now have to
buy two of the item needed to make the recipe
come out correctly with additional leftover that
may go to waste. :cangry:

Has anyone noticed that toilet tissue rolls have
shrunk also. I was looking at my toilet tissue
holder and saying "why is there so much space
on the bar that holds the toilet tissue?" Since
we had just had the bathroom done I thought
maybe the contractor put it in wrong but after
checking again the fixture was put in correct, it
was just that the toilet tissues width had been
cut down. I was ticked. :comg: Unbelievable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts