Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mother Nature - 1.

Clothesline - 0.

I'm not "allowed" to use a clothesline in my neighborhood, due to HOA rules - but since the house next door was forclosed on and is vacant, we went for it.

Hubby & I installed a retractable clothesline that can reach from the deck rail (where it's screwed in) to a hook installed on the fence.

When not in use, the line will retract in, and can't be seen.

First time using my great new clothesline today - hang everything, it's 99 degrees outside.....

30 minutes later and BOOM!!! It's POURING rain!!!

*sigh*

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Mother Nature definitely has a sense of humor! I was outside on my back porch yesterday watching it rain and noticed my next door neighbor had a load of jeans on line and didn't take them in.

I can run REALLY fast when the rain starts and I have clothes outside!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yeah...our HOA forbids it too, but I have one anyway :) We are on a back lot. One neightbor is a SAHD and he doesn't care. the other is a super greenie, so she's cool with it. the neighbors behind are in an older area on 3 acres, they don't care. I have an embrella type.

·
27,948 Posts
Aww. I like your spunky attitude & hope your next drying "fix" has you smiling with glee at "sticking it to da man".

Reactions: bumplett

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Oh no! Mother Nature can be cruel sometimes.

·
Registered
904 Posts
one of the first cloths lines I ever made, I made with Cotton rope instead of clothesline wire.

I got up super early one morning and washed 3 comforters before I went to work and hung them to dry.

It rained that day and when I got home the comforters had soaked up enough rain water they the weight broke the line.

I feel your pain!!

BTW, Did you know you don't have to hang you clothes out during the day for them to get dry? Wait until after the dew falls and hang them out at night, the neighbors can't see them and as long as you get them in first thing in the AM, then they can't really complain.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I hear this alot about HOA's and clotheslines...There is one town near us that has banned clotheslines. My DD says that this particular town supplies the electric and they want every penny, hence the ban!..Thankful I live in an area where we can have them and veggie gardens! I found out we can have chickens too, just got to get dh on board for that ;)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I hang mine indoors across the basement beam year-round. I am in CO though, no humidity to contend with.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've tried on & off for the past few years we've lived here to hang them in the basement - but it takes waaaayyyyy too long for a load to dry.

Jeans never seem to make it before we need to wear them again.

I'm good with my extra rinse - but I think I'll try the "evening dry" cycle!! That's a great idea!!

I'm not against HOA rules for the most part, but anything that goes on in my back yard behind a privacy fence is my business. :) I'll take it down if someone complains. Well, maybe. I'll consider taking it down. It depends on how nicely they ask. That's all I can promise.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate subdivisions.

there's my dave ramsey motivation RIGHT THERE!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts